• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SurGie

Where's This Boot Come From,

SurGie

Hi Members,

As above really.

I need to know where this boot may have come from > th_HeatwrapprotectiveExhaustbulkheadarea.jpg

Picture courtesy of HERMAN, > Thanks :)

Iv not ever seen this on a 205 before and iv had a few. I would want it to help protect my new UJ from the 6 exhaust manifold heat. I guess with the extra weight of this engine, it can give the UJ more wear/use etc ?

Cheers G..

welshpug

the factory...

Daviewonder

They all had them but most crack and split and fall in half.

More to the point what expansion tank is that? It looks like a phase 2 but it's the wrong colour.

welshpug

that's what they come like now.

the boot was only found on non-pas columns, and is NFP.

Cameron

Yep, this was present on my 205 when I removed the steering column.

harryskid

I have a similar type of thing on my conversion but its home made and constructed of alloy!

SurGie

So just to summarize >

Where, as in what other car, drive-shaft, rack, etc could this type of boot be bought to replace it ?

Suggestions and pics if possible >

Cheers

Paul_13

Extend the heatshield over like I have to cover it?

Or you thinking more of water ingress?

SurGie

Yeah everything really, ill be using a GTi 6 type of heat shield modified to fit how i want it to look, proper pro.

Ill be using some of THIS type of grease inside the boot. Its clings very well, i'm using it inside my beam with grease nipples, i have to sort beam my self due to funds.

Cheers

Daviewonder

That grease sounds pretty good, might give it a go as I've got a beam rebuild coming up on my 1.6.

Thanks for the tip ;)

SurGie

No worries Daviewonder :)

Im using that stuff for everything that need to be greased as its also a high pressure type too.

Dont forget, i could still need a bit of copper brake pipe for when i get round to that job. So ill let you know if i do.

Cheers

Daviewonder

Ok Mate no probs, just let me know what you need ;)

Mikey S

Ive got one a spare one Surgie ;)^_^

Edited by Mikey S

SurGie

Nice one :)

I was going to trawl the net for one from another car this week thats a similar kind of size, so you've saved me some time.

PM us your payment details etc and ill pay you as soon a. I'd need it posted if possible as it going to be fitted by next week.

Cheers

Lan

Ill be using some of THIS type of grease inside the boot. Its clings very well, i'm using it inside my beam with grease nipples, i have to sort beam my self due to funds.

Cheers

why bother greasing inside of the boot youre not going to aid UJ lubrication as its sealed anyway, the only purpose of the boot as far as i can tell is to protect from water so maybe just put a dab of grease around the edges of the boot to seal it up a bit

SurGie

My last UJ went no doubt due to the car having the old iron block MI16 and as it didn't have any power steering i assume the extra weight put more strain on the UJ. Also it will help by giving more protection from the large manifold from the VTS engine.

Plus it makes it look neater.

Paul_13

I think you'll need to shield the grommet where the uj passes through the bulkhead, mine had started to bubble and only a matter of time before it set on fire.

SurGie

Off the top of my head i cant think what type of material i could use to shield it. Should i slip something into the edge of this grommet against the bulkhead ?