• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
harryskid

Door & Side Strips

harryskid

As i have a new door to fit on my rally gti, i wondering if i get rid of the rubbers on the doors and the body. Looking at the recess in which the rubber fits it looks like it would take a lot of filler. Has any one on here ever done this and have you any tips? Would the car look more streamline, i have never really liked great lumps of rubber on sides of cars. Has any one got any picts of one done? Also what are your thoughts on this?

GLPoomobile

I've seen plenty of Max Power examples of 205s with the sides smoothed. It looks crap IMO. You're removing one of the key lines of the car, and it does it no favours. I'm sure if you search long enough - ebay ads, PH ads, Ecosse website etc - you'll find an example of a badly modified 205 with smoothed sides.

Edited to add - there's nowt wrong with doing away with the rubber strips and just leaving the bare recess. That looks good. I was referring above to the practise of filling in the recess to smooth it out completely.

Edited by GLPoomobile

harryskid

I've seen plenty of Max Power examples of 205s with the sides smoothed. It looks crap IMO. You're removing one of the key lines of the car, and it does it no favours. I'm sure if you search long enough - ebay ads, PH ads, Ecosse website etc - you'll find an example of a badly modified 205 with smoothed sides.

Edited to add - there's nowt wrong with doing away with the rubber strips and just leaving the bare recess. That looks good. I was referring above to the practise of filling in the recess to smooth it out completely.

Yes on reflection and taking on board your comments you have made me think again. I have seen picts of cars with just the bare recess and they do look good. Also with fiberglass arches colour matched. As mines a rally car the rubbers tend to be a bit of a pain. On a mint road car they are fine and i would not remove them. On mine the red strips are missing and overall i think it would look better with out them, but keep the recess.