• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SurGie

Electric Wire Crimping.

SurGie

Hi Member's,

Iv rang Maplin the other day and asked if they sold as tool to hold two joining wires to be soldered together, to make the job far easier and to get a better soldering ready for a shrink wrap.

Does anyone know of a tool like this or a good technique to help when soldering two wires together ?

Cheers G.

Cameron

Swing and a miss.. :P

SurGie means - is there a tool that will hold the two wires in position so that you can solder the joint together, rather than having to try and hold the wires together AND solder them at the same time.

I'll admit it's a bloody nightmare sometimes as you need 4 pairs of hands, so a tool that holds them would be great! However there's nothing stopping you from using a small pin vice to hold the wires together, or cobbling an array of pliers or something!

Rippthrough

Two small crocodile clips tbh.

Or the solder splices that Mei posted. Bit tricky getting the heat level right on those though.

Edited by Rippthrough

McDude

Get two crocodile clips and fix them each with a bit of speaker wire (or similar wire that is flexi but maintains shape) to a small bit of wood.

Google "soldering clamps" and you'll see something similar but not quite as good as what I'm proposing.

Tom Fenton

Strip wires, but do not twist. Push both ends together so the wires are "intermeshed" and splayed out slightly. Now keeping the two wires still twist the copper strands together. They will now hold together whilst you solder.

SurGie

Thanks for the advice guys, yes Cam thats what i meant.

I quite like the crocodile clips and some speaker/welding wire way. The wires i need to sort are very thin, so i think these ways would be the easiest.

There's always a simple way, and there sure is :)

Cheers G

Masekwm

I used a vice and other appropriate tools

dscf1441b.jpg

The A4 paper is a print out of the GTi6 wiring guide from this forum :D

Edited by Masekwm

smithy

man after my own heart can of beer on the go while doing some work :D

Alastairh

Strip wires, but do not twist. Push both ends together so the wires are "intermeshed" and splayed out slightly. Now keeping the two wires still twist the copper strands together. They will now hold together whilst you solder.

Spot on! Plenty of practice is the key!

welshpug

I do much as Tom mentioned, don't forget to slide on the piece of heat shrink tubing beforehand, and place it well away form the joint or it'll just shrink in place :lol:

SurGie

man after my own heart can of beer on the go while doing some work :D

Some cat munchies as well, cant be bad :)

Spot on! Plenty of practice is the key!

I did originally do it in a similar way to Tom's but for one the wires were to thin and the other it just took too much time, it started to get annoying with them coming apart every so often. As well as the wires were in the engine bay attached so was harder to turn the wire all the way round.

Thanks for the help guys.

Cameron

I do much as Tom mentioned, don't forget to slide on the piece of heat shrink tubing beforehand, and place it well away form the joint or it'll just shrink in place :lol:

Ergh.. the amount of times I've forgotten to put heatshrink over beforehand. <_<