• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dave205

1.8 Dturbo Driveshafts And Box

dave205

Sadly my dturbo needs more time and money than itsworth to MOT it, so im going to break it for spares. Im just wondering though if the shafts and box, will fit on my xu10 engine, with 1.6 hubs?

Anthony

Shafts are the same as 1.6 GTi items, and the gearbox will fit, but the ratios will be ill-suited to a petrol XU engine (bar perhaps a 2.0 8v Turbo)

dave205

Shafts are the same as 1.6 GTi items, and the gearbox will fit, but the ratios will be ill-suited to a petrol XU engine (bar perhaps a 2.0 8v Turbo)

Thats tidy then, saves me buying a pair of shafts!! Do you know the final drive of this gearbox or not? It will be going on a 2.0 8v Turbo :)

pug_ham

The STDT / TD gearbox has two listed final drives of 3.47:1 & 3.939 (apprently) but I've opened both n/a & turbo xud boxes to find the same fd, both were 3.47.

Best way to make sure what fd you have in this box is to take the diff cover off & see what's stamped into the crownwheel.

Graham.

dave205

The STDT / TD gearbox has two listed final drives of 3.47:1 & 3.939 (apprently) but I've opened both n/a & turbo xud boxes to find the same fd, both were 3.47.

Best way to make sure what fd you have in this box is to take the diff cover off & see what's stamped into the crownwheel.

Graham.

Thankyou for that information, just what i wanted :). But im also wondering what the final drive of a be3 1.6 gti gearbox

is?

Anthony

1.6 GTi FD is 4.06, but that doesn't tell the whole story as the ratios themselves are shorter as well AFAIK.

To give you a rough idea, the 205 TD boxes that I've driven have given about 25mph/1000rpm in 5th, which is in the region of around 30% longer than a 1.6 GTi 'box. For comparison, the difference between a 1.6 and 1.9 GTi box is closer to 10%...

dave205

Does anyone know if diesel and turbo diesel driveshafts are also the same?

Anthony

Yes they are - both are the same as 1.6 GTi (non-ABS) driveshafts.