• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rafe Dent

Rear Beam Swap

Rafe Dent

Running a 1.9 205 GTi 1991 300,000 kms with discs and slightly lowered.

I have to re-do rear beam and unseize rear brakes for Controle Technique (MOT), and all I can find locally at present is a 1.6 GTi drum beam with no play in the axle for 200£.

Can I just straight swap the beams and then change my discs onto new (1.6) beam, in place of the drums?

Thanks, R

Anthony

You'll need to swap over the stub axles, caliper mounting plates, wheel bearings/hubs, and then the calipers and disks.

welshpug

or just keep the drums

Rafe Dent

Wow, that was quick, thanks.

I'm no expert - but when you swap the stub axle wouldn't the whole lot (brakes and all) come with it?

And isn't there some problem with the mounting offset? Sorry, haven't been on here for a year os so and the car's been sleeping in the garage, so rather lost touch.

Thanks, Anthony I know you're an expert on these things. Pity - used to live in Tetbury so would have been a client for you. Unless you do export?

Anthony

I'm no expert - but when you swap the stub axle wouldn't the whole lot (brakes and all) come with it?

And isn't there some problem with the mounting offset? Sorry, haven't been on here for a year os so and the car's been sleeping in the garage, so rather lost touch.

Thanks, Anthony I know you're an expert on these things. Pity - used to live in Tetbury so would have been a client for you. Unless you do export?

1.9 beams have front beam mounts that are offset slightly relative to other 205 and 309 beams, but it isn't a strict need to swap them over.

The stub axles are the parts that the wheel bearings run on, so to swap them you need to have already removed the calipers, disks, and wheel bearings. I suspect that you might be getting confused with the trailing arm shafts, which indeed would take the complete arm with it.

As for exporting a beam, I suspect that the cost would be massively prohibitive to send one overseas, and having a look on where you're based in France, it wouldn't really make sense to drive over to the UK to get one either like it prehaps might have done if you were somewhere in the North of the country.