• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stellacosworth

Bad Brakes

stellacosworth

Hey guys

Got a quick one about the GTI (if there is such a thing!). The cars been stood around for a couple of months whilst I managed to get the engine running again. With the car going like a rocket, it now refuses to stop very well. Whilst parked up I just left the car in gear with the handbrake off to avoid problems like this. After taking it round the block a few times to try and free anything up, the pedal feels fine as before. There is a brake rubbing noise all of the time and I think one or more of the pads arent backing off the disks properely. When I got back home some of the brakes had heat in them and others were still cold. I suspect some of the callipers have seized, is this common on the GTI and whats the best course of action ie. are there any real known trouble areas? Any advice greatlt appreciated. One day soon the little bugger will be back representing a golden era that once was!

smithy

is it a 1.6 or 1.9?

the 1.6 caliper slides can seize up.

best bet is get wheels off and have a good check to make sure all brakes are free,pistons are not seized and condition of the linings.

stellacosworth

Sorry its a 1.9. Was going out to start stripping some bits off tonight but everytime I look at the toolbox, the heavens open! I think all the linings are ok as i checked them before the car was off the road with engine trouble and the brakes worked quite well then.

allye

As above and as you have diagnosed yourself the calipers sound a little past it. You can get rebuild kits from big red for about £20, then you have essentially new calipers if you do a good job :)

stellacosworth

thanks, sounds like a pretty cost effective solution, will have a look into that whilst the weather bucks its ideas up! cheers all