• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scottbarton

Rear Brake Discs

scottbarton

Need to get some new rear brake discs for my 1990 1.9 GTi.

Anyone recommend any? There are plenty on eBay, Demon Tweeks etc...but would rather lean on personal experience before buying.

At the same time i am going to replace all brake pipes/hoses. Again...any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

GLPoomobile

The rear brkaes don't do much so you don't need anything fancy. Just get boggo standard discs and pads from a motor factor, GSF, or Eurocarparts.

I think a company called Automec can supply the brake pipes ready made to the correct length, so you just bend them to shape.

2-Pugs

^^^ what he said ;-)

For rear brakes I would simply go to your local factor or GSF and get some half decent disks and pads (Delphi, Lockheed etc). Try your local dealer to check for OE prices too. If you want to beef up the front brakes, a bigger disk conversion from a bigger Peugeot (306/307 etc) is a common mod, but others more familiar with that can no doubt advise.

If you are replacing the brake pipes, I would definitly recommend an upgrade to braided hoses. A goodridge set costs ~70 quid and has a lifetime guarantee. They also look nice, which of course helps :-)

If you are replacing the solid pipes, cunifer is a better bet than standard copper. Get a flaring tool - and be prepapred to practice - a lot. Excuse the innuendos - but forming a good nipple takes care and practice :-D

Lastly I'd also recommend replacing the handbrake cables - less than £25 for the pair from Peugeot IIRC. The handbrake on the 1.9 can be a bit iffy and a little fiddly to get set up propelry, and if you have cruddy half seized cables then you're off to a bad start.

GLPoomobile

I forgot to mention, it's also worth lockwiring the rear pad 'bar thingies' (the L shaped metal bits) in place. It has been known for them to come free, with one (or both) pads following shortly after. Can be quite dangerous!

scottbarton

Cheers guys. Great advice. I have gone for these one's from EBC. £45 inc VAT. Not bad!

http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/car/parts_disc.asp?part=disc&make=PEUGEOT&model=205&year=1%2E9+GTi+%2883-97%29

Did not realise how cheap these cars are to maintain! My previous car, a highly modded 400bhp MR2 Turbo cost me an absolute fortune to run! :o

Nice to have a bit of low cost motoring for a while!