• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
HERMAN

Strange Steering Sensation

HERMAN

I am after some thoughts on why my car is doing what it is doing.

Right the front and rear suspension have been fully rebuilt. New wishbones, new ARB bushes, Rebuilt rear beam with group A rear mounts. 4 x new toyo t1r's.( not changed the shocks, Gmax or similar were already fitted but I will be going for coil overs eventually, could do with new strut top mounts and bearings as these were not replaced during the rebuild.)

When driving along if I accelerate in top gear then the car pulls to the right. I lift off and it pulls to the left. But it feels more like the back is steering the car not the front. Strange feeling.

Feels horrible to drive and really getting on my nerves.

I could do with somebody local to have a drive and tell me that it is just my imagination. It is a gti6 converted car that is very fast but I have no confidence to lean on it at the moment. The car also really needs a quick rack.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Neil

Edited by HERMAN

Anthony

Pulling one way under power and then the other when you let off is normally a symptom of failed wishbone bushes.

I know that you mentioned that you'd replaced the wishbones, but pattern ones can have the bushes fail in next to no time.

HERMAN

Thanks Antony I will put a lever over them tomorrow. They were Quinten Hazzel ones which I would have thought would be the better of the pattern makes. I might get some poly bushes ones I think.

Cheers

Neil

kyepan

i've had pattern bushes fail in 50 miles... also sometimes they fail because they get fitted pointing down and torqued, then moved up into position and that knackers them almost immediately.

however, i've also not torqued them up properly and had them do the same thing.

so.. double check they are properly torqued, and then test.

then buy some genuine pug bushes (about 20 quid) and refit.

HERMAN

i've had pattern bushes fail in 50 miles... also sometimes they fail because they get fitted pointing down and torqued, then moved up into position and that knackers them almost immediately.

however, i've also not torqued them up properly and had them do the same thing.

so.. double check they are properly torqued, and then test.

then buy some genuine pug bushes (about 20 quid) and refit.

Cheers I am sure I torqued them up when the car was on the floor.

Thanks

Neil

HERMAN

I think I have found the problem. I have checked the front wish bone mounts and they are nice and stiff and given the front end a full spanner check. Then I stringed it out. Which is a free basic 4 wheel tracking check done at home with some fishing line and axel stands (Good enough for a GT3 race car to be set up this way). Found that one side at the rear is toeing slightly in but the near side is toeing out causing the car to turn from the rear. After a little bit of research on here I realise now that I have odd rear arms. I know that I got one from the scrap yard when I rebuilt my beam but it was of a base model and come to think about it, it had been rolled. Doh.

Need some good straight rear arms now just need to work out which ones and whether I want a bit of negative camber.

Hope fully I can get this car to handle how I would expect it to.

Cheers

Neil

hanceformer

I think I have found the problem. I have checked the front wish bone mounts and they are nice and stiff and given the front end a full spanner check. Then I stringed it out. Which is a free basic 4 wheel tracking check done at home with some fishing line and axel stands (Good enough for a GT3 race car to be set up this way). Found that one side at the rear is toeing slightly in but the near side is toeing out causing the car to turn from the rear. After a little bit of research on here I realise now that I have odd rear arms. I know that I got one from the scrap yard when I rebuilt my beam but it was of a base model and come to think about it, it had been rolled. Doh.

Need some good straight rear arms now just need to work out which ones and whether I want a bit of negative camber.

Hope fully I can get this car to handle how I would expect it to.

Cheers

Neil

hanceformer

Hi did sorting the rear end out fix the problem because I've had the same problem with the steering wondering.

Anthony

Be interesting to see if this fixes the problem, as logically, I wouldn't expect the dodgy rear geometry to cause an issue only under acceleration, but rather to cause it to crab slightly all the time and probably to corner differently between left and right hand bends.

edbar

Go for Xsara vts arms!

HERMAN

Right I think I might be getting some were now. The other evening when I strung out the car I had had a couple of beers. Just strung the car out again to find the front tracking was all over the place so re tracked to 2MM toe in across the wheel face and after measuring the rear track again I have found out that the near side is toeing in 2MM across the wheel face and the off side (Side I replaced the arm for one of a base model) is toeing straight ahead.

I have just been for a run out and with just the front track re set the car is a lot more stable. Still seams to turn right slightly when lifting off/ engine braking. No nasty pulling and only a small amount of torque steer when giving it hard acceleration in second ect.

Conclusion for now is.

Sort rear arms (either replace off side for 205 gti to recreate the original rear track or fit some zx or xsara vts rear arms)

Fit new front strut top mounts and bearings.

Fit quicker rack and get fully tracked up.

Cheers for the input guys

Neil

Edited by HERMAN

Tom Fenton

Personally I would fit a known pair of rear arms, as there are variations between them all, and it is difficult if not impossible to identify what is what, other than fitting a known pair.

I have a few pairs here if you are stuck, either base model or GTI.

Neutral toe or toe out on the rear will tend to make the car very nervous, some like this, others do not.

HERMAN

Thanks Tom I might well take you up on that very soon.

Regards

Neil

Pugs in Pieces

am i right in thinking the xsara arms good for negative camber?