• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wardy18

Master Cylinder Bore Size

wardy18

Hi,

In the short term i need to fix a possible issue i may have, i have no vacumn pipe to connect my brake servo too so it will run without so for the short term i want to fit a lower bore Master Cylinder which will give me an easier brake pedal although longer to get the same level of braking.

Normal 1.9 Mater Cylinders atr 20mm bore, i know lower model 205's run 17mm bore but i cant seem to find exact specs anywhere to confirm before buying.

I have found a DELPHI LM23664 Master Cylinder from a 205 1.1i '83-'87 which should be 17mm but i cannot find any documentation online to confirm its 17mm.

Can anyone help who may have looked into this before?

Or any experience running the braking system on their 205 without the servo vacumn connected????

Regards

Simon

swordfish210

Or any experience running the braking system on their 205 without the servo vacumn connected????

Yeah it's bloody horrible, allmost impossible to get any decent brake force. How come you don't have any pipe?

wardy18

The inlet manifold was made with no take off pipe, I don't really mind as I dont want anything affecting the performance of a single cylinder and I certainly don't want to remove the inlet manifold just to botch in a take off until I upgrade to proper master cylinders and a decent pedal box

swordfish210

Ah good point, annoyingly Euro Car Parts used to list master cylinder bore sizes on their website but i just had a quick look and it seems they don't anymore. Might be worth calling a motor factors and asking them to have a look in the book to see if an old 954cc M/C has a 17mm bore.

wardy18

Will a non servo master cylinder fit and work onto the servo or do I need to remove the whole servo unit? I thought I would need just a replacement servo master cylinder with a 17mm bore to fit to the servo and connect as standard even though the servo part is not being used!

What's a 954cc M/C, are we still talking Peugeot master cylinders here or sourcing from another vehicle?

Thanks for the help

wardy18

Sorry was being a dumbass in my last post, ill phone the motor factors today and see if the 1 or 1.1 ltrs have 17mm bore master cylinders, hopefully their books have the info.

Its so annoying that at a couple of our motor factors they employ nippers who ask just for car make and model and year and unless you have those they have no clue as to what your asking for and probably wouldnt even know what a master cylinder was, i wish they would employ people with some car knowledge and not just how to read a reference catalogue.......RANT OVER!!

Still thought my questions stands about the Servo, can i fit a NON Servo Master Cylinder to the Servo unit, reasons being all my copper pipes are bent perfectly for the position of the master cylinder attached to the servo so dont want to have to remove it if you see what i mean.

Cheers

Simon

welshpug

by the picture on servicebox it looks like the bolt holes are rotated 90 degrees so it wont fit, part number is 4601 93.

there's some part number data missing on servicebox but it looks like a different pedal box and pushrod, pedal itself looks the same.

wardy18

This website is very useful for Mater Cylinder part numbers and bore diameters

www.rockauto.com

It seems that there is NO 17.5mm bore M/C for a Servo assisted system, the lowest i can go is 19.05mm which looks a straight swap for my 20.64mm, is it worth it????

swordfish210

I've got a 19mm one in my garage if you want to try it, you can have it for postage cost.

wardy18

Sound thanks

The only thing is that my motor factors said they were 90% sure that because Peugeot used to many makes of master cylinders that they might not all be interchangeable, ie will a Delphi M/C fit to my servo where my Bendix M/C is currently fitted as a direct replacement??

What make is that 19mm M/C do you know?

Thanks

Simon

pug_ham

A delphi mc should fit but tbh for the sake of an extra few £'s get a bendix mc.

Any mc from a 205 should fit the servo though afaik, they all have horizontal bolt holes on the mounting flange.

Much better qualitty & I think Miles has had experience oft he del;phi etc cheaper ones failing in no time at all.

Graham.

wardy18

Thanks Graham, i have a guy over here who has a vast collection of 205's so i will check to see if he has a Bendix 19mm, can i assume that as with my Bendix 20.64mm M/C having BENDIX 20 cast on the side the 19.05mm with have BENDIX 19 cast in the side too so easily indentifiable??

pug_ham

Yeah, I think the 19mm mc will have 19 stamped on the side also.

I wouldn't use a second hand on thats been stood empty for long though.

Graham.

wardy18

Good advice, ill get one ordered from the motor factors.

it wont be perfect solution but it'll help, will have to make do for now as it wont arrive for my first event monday.

Another idea i had was sourcing a small vacumn motor, almost like a fuel pump and connect it to the servo hose and wire it in to the ignition switch so its permantly sucking on the servo when the cars running, would that work as a short term fix???

wardy18

Ok i have just ordered a Servo 19.05mm Bore Delphi LM26334 Master Cylinder.

I was thinking aswel that while im swapping it over is it worth removing the spring from inside the servo unit to make my pedal a bit lighter too while the servo unit isnt working??

pug_ham
Ok i have just ordered a Servo 19.05mm Bore Delphi LM26334 Master Cylinder.

I was thinking aswel that while im swapping it over is it worth removing the spring from inside the servo unit to make my pedal a bit lighter too while the servo unit isnt working??

Good luck with the delphi unit, Miles has had some non bendix branded mc/s fail pretty quickly afaik so the extra few pounds cost for a proper bendix brandd one is worth spending imo.

I don't think the spring will make that much difference to the pedal weight, just the return action for the pedal & mc to allow fluid to return from the lines releasing the pressure.

Graham.

wardy18

Ok well taking everything into consideration a quick call to Colin S has sorted everything, he is making me up a take off for the inlet manifold and assured me it wont affect the performance of that cylinder at all so i am happy to do this, only trouble is my only option is to chemical metal the take off above the hole ill drill in the manifold until i can attempt to get it tig welded on.

Delphi order has been cancelled and new take off should be here in time for the weekend to fit.

wardy18

Hi all,

Long time no speak (very sorry) i will catch up with my build post very soon but just need some help as i have been looking for a decent priced supplier of a Bendix 19mm Servo Master Cylinder (Service Box 4601 87 or 97) for over an hour now and just cant seem to find any that are 100% Bendix.

Can anyone offer a fair priced company that i can get hold of one to save me going to the main dealers and getting ripped...??

Many thanks all and speak soon

Simon

welshpug

the 20.6mm item that GSF do is a Bendix item from previous experience, give them a call, though if you just choose their premium option you'll get a reputable brand, I wouldnt worry about it not being bendix as logn as it was ATE, Girling, Bosch etc.

jason7579

I got a 20.6mm Bendix Master Cylinder from GSF last week, paid just over £40.

wardy18

Thanks for the replies, dont want to sound dumb but who is GSF?

wardy18

yeh yeh yeh.......

I actually Yahoo! searched for GSF Master Cylinder and came up with squat other than many eBay links and a GolfGtiForum link so i did try :wacko:

Thanks very much

Edited by wardy18

welshpug

:lol::P

Yahoo sucks, Google FTW ;)