• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dirtdog

Sourcing Calipers..

dirtdog

Ok..i'm looking for two 1.9 girling front calipers...found them on the GSF website for about £50 each but there is a surcharge of about the same price ontop!!! Anywhere else I can get them without this stupid surcharge? Thanks

Edited by dirtdog

swordfish210

Isn't that an exchange price?

rallyeash

surcharge should be credited with the return of your old calipers

dirtdog

Isn't that an exchange price?

Yea, but I need (would like) new ones...before I take the old ones off. I don't have the tools or time at the moment to do any of the work so i'm just getting all the parts I need into a great big pile and them slapping it together. Also looking for the 1.9 bolts....stealership?

Obey_R

Yeah the bolts from the dealer, aren't too expensive. I bought/aquired some used 1.9 calipers that had seen better days - stripped them down and rebuilt them with new seals, paint etc. Didn't work out expensive at all!

Anthony

Remember that price is usually for the caliper alone, and does not include the carrier part - worth remembering if your current caliper sliders are siezed solid.

dirtdog

Thanks for the replys everyone.

Anthony..the slides are bent.... they are probably like butchers hooks. The car is a STDT and hasn't been ragged, but the slides on the (1600?) original calipers are...well excuse my french...wank if i'm honest. Could hear them creaking when I pushed the pedal when it was last on the road...

Honestly though..im no mechanic and I don't know what a carrier is ....ooops :blush: Just had a look on the GSF site again and it says nothing about carriers. Browsed google and they look to be like some sort of bracket? What it does though...eludes me. Any advice on these 'carrier's ..IE where can I get them and what type(if there are diffrent ones) do I need..

Thanks again

Baz

The pad carrier is just that, the section of he caliper that carries the pad, is bolted to the main section of the caliper that contains the piston etc.

Yes unfortunately 1.6 calipers wear badly and are then rubbish, you could upgrade to 1.9 Girling calipers, they're a much better design and bolt straight on to your existing setup, using the same discs.