• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dave205

Will Discs Fit 1.6 Beam?

dave205

Just wondering if anyone had any idea, if the 1.9 calipers wiill fit on the arms/hubs of my 1.6 beam, the beam's in good condition, just needs a lick of paint and some mounts, if they wont i,ll to get 1.9 beam .

welshpug

swap the stub axles from the 1.9 trailing arm and they will yes (that's the only difference)

though tbh I'd just keep the drums as they're so much less hassle.

Baz

and they work...

dave205

Lots Of people ive spoken to, seem to think drums are from the devil?! the only reason i ask, is the same as my last post, im putting a turbo engine in my gti :). As i was saying to you in my last post welshpug, im going to use 306 td brakes on the front anyway, so will have some more stopping power than standard. Reckn it'l be up to the job?

welshpug

they may take a little while longer to assemble but apart from that they work better and last much longer, and don't have the issues that afflict the disc brake setups that these cars use.

Anthony

though tbh I'd just keep the drums as they're so much less hassle.

and they work...

I'd personally argue that disks are much less hassle than drums are, but there you go - worth it just to lose the troublesome self-adjusters frankly!

Only time I'd see any advantage with drums is if you need a decent handbrake (say road-rallying) and you don't want to go down the hydraulic handbrake route.

Otherwise, disks work perfectly and require basically zero attention, a doddle to service/inspect, and you'll always have a decent firm brake pedal.

However, in reply to the OP, in terms of brake performance, you won't really gain anything by swapping to a disk setup over a drum one, and thus if that's the main reason for considering going down this route, I'd personally reconsider.

dave205

Seems to me, theres far to much hype about discs, so im going to just run the drums, i have a good 1.6 beam, and as the old saying goes " if it ain't broke don't fix it!!"

Needing a good handbrake isnt really an issue, as i wont be using it for anything other than parking ;)

tomcolinjones

I prefere discs because they self clean, self adjust properly, cool down faster and dont require you to pull the wheel bearing off when you want to get inside!tho disc handbrakes are pants unless you have hydraulic handbrake, like Anthony says.