• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
joe1joe

Front Spring Rates

joe1joe

i have had a look through the list of 205 suspension setups and diifrent threads and found nothing......

right i have 309 gti rear beam with gaz gha coilovers up front, i currently have 160lb springs which with the 106 gti lump was perfectly balanced.

now i have a gti-6 lump (battery in boot moving 7kg from front) and will be buying a kad 25mm rear anti roll bar £130 deliverd moding orginal arb any one used one??? , so could you recommend from experience front spring rates to match my rear end :lol:

(have solid rear mounts and i will be purchasing kad top mounts, use toyo t1r tyres, 309 front lower arms and lsd)

Edited by joe1joe

Anthony

I'd say that you'd want something around the 200lb ballpark with a GTi-6 lump up front and 20mm rear torsion bars, assuming it's primarily a road car.

joe1joe

I'd say that you'd want something around the 200lb ballpark with a GTi-6 lump up front and 20mm rear torsion bars, assuming it's primarily a road car.

yes i will be using 20mm torsion bars with a 25mm arb.

i was thinking between 200-250, its a track car but used daily to and from work so not too woried about comfort as its already bit crapy with no interior.

anyone else had similar spec???

welshpug

pts tarmac rally 205 spec was 225lb front /21mm rear though with alloy 8v engine, with weight of sump guard though.

kyepan

For a road car, I would say 200 as well, it's what I have and it is much less crashy and prone to leap about than the 250lbs i had previously.

welshpug

depends on the quality of the damping as much as anything else, have been in an AST damped 306 running 285 lb springs which was fine (original springs were around 120 lb's afaik)

j_turnell

Anyone know what spring rate the eibach springs are?

joe1joe

well i have gaz gha coilover (bilstein rear) but was unsure how the 25mm anti roll bar would also afect the result aswell maybe i should go with 220 8 or 9 inch :huh: gota love suspension

changes! you get it right then want to improve it and almost start all over again! merlin do seem to let you take the springs back if they are not marked tho.

j_turnell

Spot on Feb cheers mate!

shalmaneser

Just FAO really I'm currently running Eibach front springs and Gaz dampers (not 'coilovers') with the 309 back end and it's definitely too soft at the back, although I think the ride is quite a good fast road compromise.

I'm looking at going up a mm on the rear TB diameter (to 21mm) as I've always felt that a thumping big rear ARB is a bit of a bodge for a soft rear end - although if anyone has tried that setup (309 TBs with thick ol' ARBs) and has anything different to say I'd be interested to hear from them.

Having said that I know the Peugeot Partner rear ARB is the same width as the 309 ARB so might pop that in as a cheap and cheerful upgrade.

EDIT: It appears after looking on servicebox that the ARB is the same diameter as the 309 (21mm) but the TBs are thicker (@21mm) and pretty cheap @ £78.82 each.

I might give this a go.

Alternatively I've heard that the standard VTS front springs and the gti6 lump make for a good budget combo, which I might look into - has anyone tried this? Would also raise the front a bit which would be good.

Guess I should really buy some coilovers tho!

Edited by shalmaneser

tomcolinjones

Having said that I know the Peugeot Partner rear ARB is the same width as the 309 ARB so might pop that in as a cheap and cheerful upgrade.

Alternatively I've heard that the standard VTS front springs and the gti6 lump make for a good budget combo, which I might look into - has anyone tried this?

Guess I should really buy some coilovers tho!

I knew the partner torsion abrs fitted, but have never heard of the arb fitting the 309 beam.

Only VTS ph1 springs, as the ph2 ones are huge!

Bilstein challenge spec dampers ( yellow ones) are a good idea imho. i have them on my xs/gti6, and people rave about them quite a bit :)

Edited by tomcolinjones

j_turnell

I ran a 24mm arb in the back of my 309 beam and found it made a really big difference, big improvement, especially when combined with the 309 front arb. If your looking for a thicker rear arb just get a resplined 306 item at 24mm or a ph2 xsara vts item at 23mm.

The arb setup on the partner is much different as it bolts on the outside with two pinch bolts so im not sure if it will be the right length or if you could get end plates to fit it. However the 21mm torsion bars do fit a 309 beam nicely.

welshpug

Later cars from the PSA stable run much larger rear ARB's than the 205 and 309 did, zx 306 xsara 106 and saxo all used 24mm rear arb's on the highest spec sport models.

They were all good handlers so maybe they were onto something :lol:

joe1joe

i was going to buy a 25mm arb from kad, they press the splines from current arb into the 25mm item then weld them (i think) but even though its 25mm arb the material could also be diffrent from a peugeot gti6 24mm item? it is £130 delivered

i think someone on here can respline a gti6 arb?

Anthony

i was going to buy a 25mm arb from kad, they press the splines from current arb into the 25mm item then weld them (i think) but even though its 25mm arb the material could also be diffrent from a peugeot gti6 24mm item? it is £130 delivered

i think someone on here can respline a gti6 arb?

That will be me, but to be honest it doesn't really work out that cheap unless I get a few done at once.

What I can do though is supply torsion and anti-roll bars made to whatever size you want, and a new ARB will work out cheaper than what you've been quoted. I've not seen one of those ARB's that you're talking about, but cutting the splines off one ARB and welding them onto another really doesn't sound like the best way to do it IMO, and certainly there's people on here that have had welded ARB's fail.

Miles

As said I've known around 6 welded ARB's snap off at the welded area as it's the most stressed from thick to thin, Mind 1 I just took off a car is OK but it's only done a couple of thousand miles so far.

Get a 30mm bar in there, Much better than any 25mm one ;)

joe1joe

so i will purchase an arb from anthony, with standered torsion bars what size arb should i buy? and matching front spring rates?

0ver an 25mm arb will i have to machine the rear beam to allow them to fit?

i want to be buying the front springs tomorrow morning!

joe1joe

well i have put a order in for a 25mm arb from anthony :)

very well priced also!