• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
aymen_a22

Steering Help Please

aymen_a22

Hi,

I have a 205 XS and there seems to be a large amount of play in the steering and I am sure the near side drive shaft is dead.

I have had a look at the car and I think the play is coming from the Universal Joint on the lower steering column, I have tried to find a replacement but I cannot find anything.

Does anyone know what cars I can take the UJ and drive shaft from?

It is a 1990 1.4 TU3s if that helps.

Thanks very much

pug_ham

Eurocarparts sell the lower steering column joint (or did last year) & also the drivehshaft but you should be able get a driveshaft from any decent motorfactors.

Never heard of a steering uj getting massive amounts of play in them though, they usually stiffen up in my experience.

Best to get it on axle stands & go underneath to find what is causing the play before randomly buying bits to try & fix it.

Graham.

aymen_a22

Yeah I believe they do sell the parts but I didn't really want to spend £100+ on parts and was looking for more of a cheap fix at the moment.

I will get under the car when I have a little more time and try to see where the play is but I am sure it is from the UJ as there is visible play in it. I think the strut top mounts also need to be replaced as there might be a little play in them but like I said I don't really want to throw money at the car as I am looking to sell it in the next year.

Thanks for the help, if you have any more ideas please could you let me know.

Also does anyone know which models and engines I can take the parts from?

Thanks again

pug_ham

The steering colum joint can be taken from most non PAS model 205's but you'll need to know what type of drive your rack has, splie or square drive.

I don't think the joints were that expensive from ecp, certainly under £100 iirc but anything you spend on it now will make it better to sell on.

A cheap fix might end up costing more if you end up doing the job twice & can turn into a false economy.

Graham.