• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dave205

Brake's To Fit 1.6 Hubs?

dave205

Im currently replaceing the suspension on my 2.0 turbo 205, and want to uprgrade the brakes at the same time, im not sure what will fit and be good engough to cope with the extra power/weight?

Any ideas/suggestions?

GTI-6, 307 HDI?

tomcolinjones

Im currently replaceing the suspension on my 2.0 turbo 205, and want to uprgrade the brakes at the same time, im not sure what will fit and be good engough to cope with the extra power/weight?

Any ideas/suggestions?

GTI-6, 307 HDI?

You could easily do a search to find this out! its in teh top 10 things talked about on this forum without a doubt.

But... heres what i know

You could fit 1.9 calipers with the 1.6 discs on current hubs

Fit base model hubs and fit 1.9/gti6/hdi brakes

fit 1.9 hubs and drive shafts and same as base model options

It all depends on what you are going to be doing with the car. gti6 / HDI brakes are seen to be 'Overkill' for road use.

shalmaneser

I've got gti6 brakes with the 406 master cylinder and they're fantastic for the road. Having driven cars with well sorted 1.9 setups (i.e. decent pads and discs) compared to my gti6 stoppers there's no contest. And I'm running gashy pads (i.e. not posh ones).

Makes the whole car feel much more modern, but without that horrible over servo's feel you get with modern cars.

I know some people like a 'hard' pedal feel but i don't really understand why.

dave205

The car will be maimly on the road with ocasional track use, but i do want decent stopping, but would like to run 1.6 wheels, 1.9's at worst. I do have some 406 turbo calipers with discs and pads, would they fit?

tomcolinjones

The car will be maimly on the road with ocasional track use, but i do want decent stopping, but would like to run 1.6 wheels, 1.9's at worst. I do have some 406 turbo calipers with discs and pads, would they fit?

I dont know if the 406 brakes fit.

But the gti6 brakes will fit under the 15" 1.9 gti alloys

Peetypug

Why not go for some 266mm ones from a 306 XS or 1.8 16v meridian, think they are also on the Xsi

They go under 14s

That's what in doing, but don't think they will go on 1.6 hubs.

dave205

That sounds like a good idea, i'll just have to find out/check they'l fit first, anyone on here running any setups the same or similair?

pug_ham

The 266mm brakes will mean you have to swap your hubs for base model ones or hubs & drivehsafts to 1.9 GTI parts.

IMO the best set uo for under 14" wheels is standard good quality discs & pads with good condition 1.9 GTi girling calipers.

Graham.

dave205

Green stuff pads, drilled and grooved discs worth a go?! Will they be up to job with regards to the extra weight/power?

swordfish210

Green stuff pads, drilled and grooved discs worth a go?

To be blunt, no.

Greenstuff pads are horribly inconsistant so you may get lucky and get a good set or you may get a crap set and have to put up with crap brakes. I never understood why people lust after drilled and grooved discs, they crack around the holes and the grooves make the pedal vibrate and to top it all off they clog up with crap without regular cleaning so they're not doing anything anyway.

Just stick with discs from BrakeParts, they're the best for cost/quality.

Ryan

No point to drilled/grooved discs on a road car, they never get hot enough to need it.

Peetypug

The 266mm brakes will mean you have to swap your hubs for base model ones or hubs & drivehsafts to 1.9 GTI parts.

IMO the best set uo for under 14" wheels is standard good quality discs & pads with good condition 1.9 GTi girling calipers.

Graham.

What about fitting gti6 hubs, would they be ok with 1.6 shafts?

dave205

CHeap discs and pads to hold up 200 horse's should be fun!!

Ryan

What about fitting gti6 hubs, would they be ok with 1.6 shafts?

GTi-6 hubs need 1.9 driveshafts.

dave205

Cheers for all the advice, to run 1.9 shafts, i'd have to swap my hubs and gearbox, which im not keen on doing at this stage, so think im going to run, mintex or similair 1.6 gti discs, decent pads, if anyone can recommend any? With 1.9 girling calipers as recommended, out of interest whats the differences between girling, bendix and lucas brakes?

welshpug

no need to swap the gearbox, they are the same bar the gear ratios, to use the larger diameter o.e type brakes you only need to swap to base model hubs and keep 1.6 shafts, or 1.9 hubs and shafts.

girling lucas and bendix are different manufacturers of brakes, all their calipers differ.

The Bendix alloy bodied caliper is found on bade models with 10mm discs, 1.6 gti's with 20mm vented discs and a wider pad carrier, 1.9's use the heavier cast iron Girling caliper, same diameter and thickness disc but a different offset to a 1.6.

dave205

Firstly thank you for that advice welshpug! I have a 1.6 shafts and gearbox, also some 1,1 hubs, will this lot go together??

I was aware that they were different manafacturers, but wasent sure what the physical differences were. So thats cleared that up!

Are the splines on the gearbox end of 1.6 and 1.9 shafts the same?

tomcolinjones

1.6 shafts and gearbox, also some 1,1 hubs, will this lot go together??

Are the splines on the gearbox end of 1.6 and 1.9 shafts the same?

yes, the 1.6 hub has the smaller splines like the base model hub. so 1.1/1.4 e.t.c (non gti) hubs will fit with 1.6 shafts.

and yes the gearbox ends of the shafts are identical.

dave205

Wheel bearings are the same then? The 1.1 i have in the shed will be robbed of its hubs one day this week when i get time! :)

welshpug

between base model and 1.6 yes, the hub carrier is the same, the offset difference (10.1mm) is all in the hub flange.

1.9 uses a larger bearing.

dave205

So from what your saying 306 xs calipers will bolt onto the 1.6 hub carrier's, but won't give you the required clearance to run a 1.6 gti wheel that a 1.1 hub would??

dave205

Another quick thing as well, does that mean, i could run 1.1 shafts? Just to get going and test it, as again i have some lying around :)

welshpug

no, as they wont fit the BE gearbox.

306 XS used ATE calipers and the same discs as 1.9 gti's, they do fit under 14" wheels, though unsure if the 1.6 gti wheel will clear them.

mogsman

I have 306 td calipers on my 1.6 gti. I think they are ATE. I have no issues with space for the 14" alloys. It may depend on where the wheel weights are, as these may get knocked off.

Ian

welshpug

most of the XUD9TE engined 306's used the same ATE calipers as the TU5 engined 306 XS, so from the comment above its worth trying.

They're the same caliper's and discs used on the Phase 2 106+Saxo where they had vented discs.

Edited by welshpug