• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Henry 1.9GTi

Eccentric Top Mounts On Standard Dampers

Henry 1.9GTi

continuing from this topic: http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=69041&st=0&p=637387&hl= eccentric top mounts standard dampers&fromsearch=1entry637387

can anyone explain the topmount and spring mount arrangement to fit the eccentric top mounts.

I cuurently have GAZ (compbrake?) eccentric top mounts and all the associated bits that came with the dampers. I can get a custom spring made so that the top of the spring can be 2.25" ID to allow -ve camber to be added. So can use the spring collar that came with the GAZ dampers.

Any info of people that have done this before would be great. Am looking to use the Challenge spec dampers.

Cheers,

Henry.

welshpug

gaz205competitionkit.jpg

gaz/compbrake/other top mount just goes on the top under the nut, they use a small diameter spherical bearing.

the top spring pan and the spherical bearing sit on the shank at the top of the damper rod, hence the need for "long top spindle" when using this type of spring arrangement, standard dampers have half as much thread/shank typically as the components used are different.

not sure why you mention custom springs though? there's plenty of 2.25" springs available off the shelf.

welshpug

challenge type damper - note the shorter top spindle for use with standard type top mounts.

bilstein-group-n-front-damper-peugeot-205.jpg

Peugeot-205-Front-Suspension-Strut-Parts-Diagram.png

Henry 1.9GTi

standard 2.25" springs wont fit a Bilstein GrpN damper. The only reason to make the top of the spring 2.25" is so that there will be clearance to the body when adding -ve camber. I have to get custom ones anyway and they said they can make either end whatever diameter I like :)

The service box pic is good though, can see how the spring is angled; looks like I will have to get a custom spring mount made up to account for the angle.

So the longer thread/shank; has anyone who has done this previosuly with the grpn/challenge dampers had to have the damper shaft modified in order to fit an eccentric top mount?

Also can anyone give measurements of the shaft diameters near the top.

Cheers,

Henry.

Henry 1.9GTi

I now have the GrpN billies in my hands!

But I cannot see how people have previosuly gone about fitting an eccentric top mount when the threaded shaft is so short. Any comments from people who have done this would be much appreciated.

I was think along the lines of a hollow tube with a nut shaped flange and threaded internally to screw onto the damper shaft and located the top mount. The OD of this would be the same as the ID of the bearing to locate it and stop movement. Obviosuly toleranced to not be an interference fit.

Help please :)

EdCherry

Bit off topic, by why all of a sudden does the spring have to become 2.25" to allow negative camber? It doesn't in anyway (even clearance!) relate to negative camber on a 205.

tony perks

Bit off topic, by why all of a sudden does the spring have to become 2.25" to allow negative camber? It doesn't in anyway (even clearance!) relate to negative camber on a 205.

By using a smaller spring you can "shove " the top of the damper towards the centre of the car giving negative camber, whereas with the std diameter spring you only have minimal clearance on ther inner wing.