• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kyepan

Xsara Rack Converstion

SurGie

Dead spot :unsure: ?

Shenpar sell a 2.7 quick rack which i have and i got that one because its higher, so i assume it should have easier steering than a 2.4 would in a 205 gti.

Or are we talking pub talk :unsure:

kyepan

I haven't noticed a dead spot on my Xsara rack. or is that just the quaife?

Anthony

The "dead spot" around straight ahead on PAS racks seems to vary considerably between different racks, and thus some pretty much have none, whereas on others it's quite pronounced. Unless you've got one that's particularly bad I don't personally really even notice when driving the car, having been running de-PAS'd racks for a good few years now.

SurGie

Sorry but i dont understand what you mean by 'dead spot' :unsure:

feb

Dead spot around straight means you can move the steering left-right without much happening and without much feel.

Running too much toe-in can also cause vagueness around straight.

SurGie

Thanks, that's what i thought it might be as well.

Overall no real problems with any of them then apart from how hard the steering can be to turn etc, people can just pump some iron if they had trouble turning with the quick rack .

SurGie

I'm sure these TRE's from Shenpar would help eliminate the 'dead spot' ?

Although though seem a little expensive.

Paul_13

The dead spot has nothing to do with those above, unless the existing TREs are worn

Masekwm

Cheers Kyepan, did it today, good guide A+ would use again.

danny56712

If i fit this xsara rack and want it power assisted to max what is best pump to use?

chipstick

Came across this and feel I should find it useful, so thanks for taking the time to jot some pointers down Justin. I wasn't aware of the stud fouling issue, so this thread has probably saved me some head scratching.

What brands of TRE would people recommend? I've read about people having had rubbers perish in several months so I'd like to buy a decent pair once.

The blank brake fitting as a pipe plug was a handy tip for me also. I've read several threads and not noticed any specific mention of that in particular, so that's another question answered :)

welshpug

Stud fouling is a non-issue, just pull the R-clip out and lift the gear rod.

Just done this myself last week, I was thinking about PAS but having driven it, I don't actually find it heavy at all because the old rack was so stiff which I did not realise till I had removed it!

• Like 1

chipstick

I see. So it only fouls when moving in to position.

I was considering electric PAS with this one, but coming from 3.9 or whatever it is now, I think as you say the difference alone will be enough of an improvement. Plus I have saved myself another job then :lol:

I hope to dig my rack out tomorrow and start checking it over, so no doubt I'll have another dozen queries :D

c_robinson

soooooo....anyone wanna sell a vts rack! haha

Very interesting read from the OP, cheers for posting