• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
NNPUT

Wishbones

NNPUT

Hi, i've dropped the subframe, rack and front suspension off the car and seperated all the bits.

How do i get the bushes out of the wishbones and also how do i get he balljoint out of the arm??

I want to give the wishbones to the poweder coaters without any bits on it.

Thanks

Mark

allye

You'll need to burn out the bushes and cut out the outer shells, for the balljoint your prob need a press. Often easier just to buy new bone!

welshpug

balljoint is not removable.

bushes I normally just go at with a cold chisel and a drift.

Tom Fenton

for the balljoint your prob need a press.

I know you are only trying to help, but really all that could potentially do is have someone spending ages pressing away in vain trying to dismantle a wishbone that cannot be dismantled. We all have to learn somehow but stick to advising people on what you do know for certain ;)

As for bushes, see this post of mine-

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=93480&st=0&p=840690&hl=+wishbone%20+how&fromsearch=1entry840690

allye

I know you are only trying to help, but really all that could potentially do is have someone spending ages pressing away in vain trying to dismantle a wishbone that cannot be dismantled. We all have to learn somehow but stick to advising people on what you do know for certain ;)

As for bushes, see this post of mine-

http://forum.205gtid...=1

I'v done a few bushes, never balljoint though - I seem to remember some telling me they could be changed <_< they obviously didn't know what the were talking about! much like me some times, most of the time......I'm rarely right :lol:

welshpug

may have been a 106, they can be pressed out.

NNPUT

Thanks Guys, how much pressure is needed to put the new bushes in?

If the rubber around the ball joint is damaged does that mean a new wishbone?

GLPoomobile

You can replace the balljoint rubbers (an arse of fiddly job!). You'll need to search for info on where to get the replacement boots. Used to be someone on here selling them, and on eBay. They don't come from Pug, but some clever bastard found they were the same as on another car (something really crap like a Morris model IIRC).

But before you go to any effort, check the condition of the balljoints. Should be nice and tight and almost impossible to move by hand.

Anthony

But before you go to any effort, check the condition of the balljoints. Should be nice and tight and almost impossible to move by hand.

Well, they are when new, but they're still perfectly serviceable even when they can be moved - there should be notable resistance though, and not slopping around like a mop in a bucket.

BlueBolt

Well that answers a few questions I was about to ask... Thankfully today I have access to the laptop lol

t8Sorry to bring up an old post, but has anyone found the part to replace the bush? My bushes are shot but the joint still seems good and I don't want to fail MOT due to it as I intend to be replacing the rear bushes this weekend....

Edit:

Have just looked at the price of the replacement part from Pug...

165 for one side, and 140 for the other... Why?? Surely they are the same but ball joint put in the other way around?? Don't much like the idea of having to replace the whole arm on both sides, and have heard and seen horror stories on here of the cheaper pattern parts, not filled with joy lol

Edited by BlueBolt

McDude

Bushes can be bought from Pug fairly cheaply (£20 the set I think) but I can't see the point when ~£40 a wishbone gets you a Motaquip part which common consensus says is the genuine part. I've been running these for years now with no problems. As the balljoint can't be removed it seems to be the smart move, but I am very lazy when it comes to this sort of thing.

As for powdercoating, I'd paint them (if you are really being tarty) as the powder coat is likely to chip and look scabby fairly quickly.

BlueBolt

No, powder coating, or painting wasn't the reason for raising the dead with this thread, was the balljoint issue.

Hadn't heard/read that about the Motorquip parts... I'll do some more looking :)

BlueBolt

I'm sure there has to be a typo with this price???

welshpug

£40 will not get you a decent wishbone these days I think :unsure:

no typo, just out of stock I bet :lol: just give miles a ring.

Edited by welshpug

chipstick

I wish Motaquip still did 309 lower arms!!!

BlueBolt

Good one, will call Miles later, will change the bushes this weekend and see how the joints are doing at the same time...

Miles

Motaquip I think have stopped selling the 205 ones as well now, will know more next month

S@m

Dont say that!! They are still lsited on the motaquip Ecat but i doubt that means much.

Alan77

That is BAD news Miles!... all the other wishbones don't last nearly as long...

welshpug

ab have stock of the pts ones, uprated bj.

Alan77

They can keep their stock too, at £221 a pop. I'd rather have four or five made out of cheese...

• Like 1

welshpug

I doubt you'd want ones from cheese/compbrake :lol:

S@m

I just checked and the left is available - the right is on backorder but not showing NFP, can even get them from a citroen dealer for some reason. Part numbers VSA533 and VSA532.

Sam

EDIT - the odd thing is that no price is listed for them, so perhaps Miles is right, despite them showing availability. I can order them but it says the cost is zero, maybe i should order a few hundred and hope they charge me zero!

Edited by Sam306

Anthony

can even get them from a citroen dealer for some reason.

Visa GTi used 205 1.6 GTi front running gear including wishbones AFAIK, hence Citroen availability.

S@m

Aha! i thought that may be the case but i couldn't check because the visa is no longer on cit service and i'm not dusting off the microfiche!