• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dirtdog

Resurrection & Woes

dirtdog

Ok, firstly I'd better explain i've not been on here for a long time. I've had a number of issues with my pug and now it's the time to pull my finger out and get it done. It's been waaaaay to long. I'm hoping I can get the help I need here so..thanks in advance.

Here it goes...

The front caliper sliders are bent and i'm replacing with 1.9 girlings so I need the bolts aswell. Oops..and pads. Mintex?

I need new shoes for the rear and the spring type mechanism because it's all snapped. Oval is Bendix & round is Girling?

I've got a girling M/C to go on..I belive it's a 20.6mm but..i've had it sitting on the shelf for about a year so i've forgot.

I've got both l/h and r/h side handbrake cables to be fitted.

A track rod end..will I need to replace both at the same time? I only ordered the one.

(I've also got a cam seal, oil & fuel filter to fit..along with finishing off putting my new bumpers & plates back on, not to mention getting new headlights, driving lights and reconnecting the rear fog and reverse haha)

My main concern is the movement in the rear left hand side. Been told it's a bent stub, oval drums, dead shock...which it isn't. Last time it was on the road it went on a brake tester and all corners passed...just the offending corner was lifting and dropping. Any ideas what this could be?

Also..i'm not MOT tester but...would it fail a MOT because of it? I can't see why because none of the suspension is defected and the brakes should pass the test when they are working again.

So if ANYONE can help me..I need any information possible. Locations,prices of the brake parts above..preferably brand new. Opinions, advice on fitting the parts etc etc. If i've not explained the probems in enough detail for you to help then please let me know

Cheers

Edited by dirtdog

happygoron

Can't be of any help but good to hear you're cracking on with this!

dirtdog

Can't be of any help but good to hear you're cracking on with this!

Taken my sweet time havent I haha. Do you still have your 205? Who does the work on it for you..anyone in swansea? I don't think I can handle doing mine..going to do as much as I can to save on costs but don't trust myself with brakes etc..

allye

The front caliper sliders are bent and i'm replacing with 1.9 girlings so I need the bolts aswell. Oops..and pads. Mintex?

Yes you'll need 1.9 caliper mount bolts

I need new shoes for the rear and the spring type mechanism because it's all snapped. Oval is Bendix & round is Girling?

You need girling for a 1.6GTI beam, IIRC yes girling have the circle were they come out the back of the drum

I've got a girling M/C to go on..I belive it's a 20.6mm but..i've had it sitting on the shelf for about a year so i've forgot.

Is this a question!? Any way, if its been sat it may well be siezed, if it was used before storage it prob will be, check all ports are pumping before you put it on or you'll have hours of fun bleeding (or not)

I've got both l/h and r/h side handbrake cables to be fitted.

Easy enough, make sure you adjust them correctly with the rear wheels off the ground etc or they'll more than be binding or something, haynes has guide.

A track rod end..will I need to replace both at the same time? I only ordered the one.

You don't need to replace both, but a good idea though as they are cheap, when you take them off make sure you count how many turns it take or mark the steering rack where they bolted up to so you don't throw the tracking out.

My main concern is the movement in the rear left hand side. Been told it's a bent stub, oval drums, dead shock...which it isn't. Last time it was on the road it went on a brake tester and all corners passed...just the offending corner was lifting and dropping. Any ideas what this could be?

If theres any movement in the arms of the beams I would say its almost certainly time for a rebuild!

Also..i'm not MOT tester but...would it fail a MOT because of it? I can't see why because none of the suspension is defected and the brakes should pass the test when they are working again.

Depends how bad it is, they should be giving all wheels a good shake so if there is play like you then I would say yes it would fail

Ali :)

GLPoomobile

You don't need to replace both, but a good idea though as they are cheap, when you take them off make sure you count how many turns it take or mark the steering rack where they bolted up to so you don't throw the tracking out.

Counting the threads might give you a very rough approximation that'll allow you to keep the rack in the same position, but you'll still need to get the tracking done.

dave205xs

Hi Dirtbox,

Have you sorted this issue out?