• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Strictly_Derv

Time For A New Beam

Strictly_Derv

The time has come for a new beam on my pug as the squeaking over every single bump is driving me mad!

There's a CTI 1.6 at the local scrappie it has 80,000 on the clock was thinking of getting the beam off it. I'll put some wheels on first to see if there's any camber.

Would this be a good idea or will it just go soon after like mine has? My budgets about £150 tops so re-furbed beams are out the question :(

monkee87

Just saw your other thread, refurb it yourself, there is a guide on the main website! :D

Baz

You'll be lucky with any used beam now IMO, you'll just be buying yourself a few years/k if you can even find one that's seemingly 'ok'.

omega

You'll be lucky with any used beam now IMO, you'll just be buying yourself a few years/k if you can even find one that's seemingly 'ok'.

but sometimes thats the only option you have

we cant all afford to pay out big money.

Miles

As said I've seen sub 50k beams that have had it, but on the other extreme beams with 250k plus on them with very little wear so it really is pot luck.

Also don;t forget the CTi beam has thinner bars and a higher ride height.

Henry Yorke

The thinner bars and higher ride height often means CTI beams fair a bit better than others, but mine was totally trollied at 72k

Strictly_Derv

My beam only went after it was lowered and that was at 169,000

I have a Dturbo does anyone know what the size of the bars are compared to a GTI & CTI?

I will be lowering the beam so might just encounter the same problem...

monkee87

IIRC, aren't dturbo's 17mm torsion bars with a 17mm ARB? GTi's are 19mm with a 20mm ARB I think. I'd take your beam apart sooner rather than later.

Strictly_Derv

Do you know about the CTI beams??

Why should I have my beam apart?

monkee87

CTi is the same as yours ATM. CTi's ran base model suspension. >_>

I'd take your beam apart before it gets wrecked and un-useable. :(

Strictly_Derv

no point of me getting that beam then as it needs to be stiffer at the back.

I wish I could but its a daily driver an paydays at the end of april :(

gtmotorsport

From my experience lately, even the best externally looking beam could be suffering internally. If water has got into the bearings or the car has sat for any time then it may not be good. All I would say is get yourself a beam and rebuild it, you'll know where you stand then going forward or unfortunately get yours in with someone that can do you an exchange. Whatever you do I think you'll here the same, there simply isn't any cheap beams any more.

feb

Generally how long do beams take before they seize due to the car being unused?

Would a period of 4 months per year cause any problem?

I could drive up and down the work's multi storey car park once a month if that would help :lol:

Edited by feb

Anthony

Generally how long do beams take before they seize due to the car being unused?

Would a period of 4 months per year cause any problem?

I could drive up and down the work's multi storey car park once a month if that would help :lol:

Sitting for a few months in itself isn't an issue on a good condition beam, but if the beam is beginning to suffer water ingress from failing seals and the bearings are starting to collapse, leaving it sat for an extended period is likely to cause the beam to sieze.