• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jake_GTI

Which Pads?

Jake_GTI

i am replacing the bendix calipers on my 1.6 due to one of them being seized, with this the pads need replacing! i was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent set of pads?

i was thinking of the black diamond predator pads as they arent too expensive and have heard good things about them! also i have been offered a set of uprated drilled and grooved discs for a very reasonable price!! is it worth doing this upgrade, my car is standard but good brakes are always a must!!?

Anthony

Personally, I'd just stick with standard disks - I've never been taken with the need or benefit from drill/grooved disks on something like a 205, and for me atleast cheap standard disks have always taken all the abuse that I've thrown at them without issue.

With regards pads, it depends what you're going to be using the car for, as a purely road-used car will want different pads to a purely track-used car. For a standardish pad I always use Ferodo Premiers which are fine on the road and even stand up to mild trackday use surprisingly well, and they're cheap from motorfactors or Halfords on trade.

Cameron

Mintex are a pretty decent pad if you're tending a little more towards track use, then Ferodo DS2500 for a more heavily track biased car and DS3000 for a pure track car.

Jake_GTI

I am using the car purely for road use! the predator pads are low dust and low fade compound hence I am looking at them! As far as the discs are concerned I am only thinking of upgrading as they are used discs but have had very little use and are very cheap sale! I may have to change the discs due to my osf caliper being seized on so these would be cheaper than buying standard new ones!

Cameron

Personally I wouldn't bother! I bought a set of Brembo grooved discs for mine a few years ago and noticed absolutely zero improvement. Drilled discs are a bit of a no-no as they tend to crack around the holes.

For pure road use I'd go with the pads Antony recommended and standard discs, there's no point forking out for extra when you won't notice any improvement.

Rippthrough

For pure road use it's pretty hard to beat the new Bluestuff NDX pads tbh.

Much as I've maligned EBC for some serious s*ite they've pedalled in the past, they're absolutely spot on for a fast road/occasional track pad. Silent, low dust + gentle on discs, like a hopped up version of DS2500/Mintex 1144's.

Cameron

Really? EBC made a pad that isn't complete garbage!? :lol:

JonnyGee

used all sorts and found personally that ebc stuff was pretty poor for fast road we use mintex 1144 compound as best of both worlds really, ferrodo seemed to have to be fairly warm before u get a good grab??but maybe just preference and its also down to cost as most uprated pads are quite expensive

Rippthrough

Really? EBC made a pad that isn't complete garbage!? :lol:

They have, shocking isn't it?!

It's good from cold, no noise, only gives off a little light dust, gentle on discs, and has more braking power than either 1144's or 2500's.

Not what I'd choose for a pure track car as there are plenty out there with more outright power, but great for a fast road/occasional track use pad with no real drawbacks over OEM's.

Edited by Rippthrough

tri_longer

I have to say I have never had any issues with EBC Greenstuff at all, I used them on a shared sprint car and then on my own sprint car that was driven to and from events as well and never had a problem at all.

I do have to tarox golds to go with the Tarox 6 pots i bought of Stefan (Saveit) so i'll be interested to see how they get on, but interestingly EBC do a replacement pad that fits these calipers for a reasonable £85 so may look at those when replacement time comes around.

Anthony

I have to say I have never had any issues with EBC Greenstuff at all, I used them on a shared sprint car and then on my own sprint car that was driven to and from events as well and never had a problem at all.

The issue I always found was one of consistancy - seemingly you'd get one set of pads that were quite good, and then the next would be utterly hopeless. Not sure if it was a QC issue or whether they changed the pad formula that frequently, but certainly it would explain the big differences in peoples opinions about EBC pads.

feb

In the Subaru world EBC yellowstuff etc. are not very highly regarded but the latest bluestuff as already said have great reviews.

In the 205 I have only ever tried Mintex 1144 and DS2500, the 2500 have more bite for track use but give more dust, squeeked (mine at least) and kill the discs faster.

Both are good pads.

Edited by feb

welshpug

I recently fitted proper o.e Citroen pads to my 283mm gti6/vts brake setup on my ZX, it's been running o.e on the rear for a year.

Not had any issues at all with them, not too much dust and I haven't had them fade yet, this is on a car some 250 kilos heavier running 170 bhp+, ish.

Fresh brake fluid I find helps the most to get a good feel.

Jake_GTI

Ah well they'll do and I'm not Gunna bother with the discs, hoping mine won't need replacing tbh! What brake fluid should I be using and how much as I'm Gunna put fresh in from empty?

Cameron

Normally takes one and a bit 500ml bottles to fill mine from dry and bleed, If you're just doing a flush and bleed then 500ml should be fine.

Baz

Any Dot4 will be fine, but if you want a slightly higher boiling point etc, try a 5.1, Halfords stuff seems ok and is cheap again on a trade card. :)

Spiky

i normally use ds3000 on track

but as i've changed to lotus/vx220 calipers i'm going to try RC5+ pads as they are half the price of ds3000's

still have ds3000 in rear, which i may change to ds2500

lukesaddy

standard discs and mintex or greenstuff pads i would say, unless your going to upgrade the calipers to shiney posh ones lol :P