• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tomcolinjones

Avo Front + Rear Adjustable Shocks

tomcolinjones

Hi, I am looking at adjustable suspension for my next project.

Intended for road and track use, mainly road use... commuting and weekend driving (summer only) and up to 3 track days p/year

I have found these:

http://www.peterlloydrallying.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22&products_id=569

http://www.peterlloydrallying.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22&products_id=570

I have read that AVO shocks / dampers tend to leak more than Bilsteins, But is this dependant on how much of a hammering they get? or just a matter of time before they dump the oil?

I'm no Suspension guru by any stretch of the imagination... My thinking is, that with adjustable dampers I can set up a stiffer setting for track and a softer setting for road use.

As it is going to be a 'fun' car and not a serious track beast, I dont fancy going for coilovers as i find they give a not so forgiving ride on roads. And once set up perfectly for track, springs would need to be changed to get a good road setup. does this make sence? Also I would rather pump my money into the road rally car, and 'mildly' modify the road/track car with a budget.

Please let me know what you think of my choice.... im open minded and wont take offence.

and if you dissagree, please advise some shocks / springs / coilovers that you have found good for my intentions.

Thanks Muchly

Tom

EdCherry

Think you'll be hard pushed to find a decent set of off the shelf adjustable dampers without adjustable spring platforms, theres kind of a progression route on how dampers evolve and first is to get of the big springs and make adjustable platforms before you start adjusting the damping normally.

IMO and from looking around here just by yourself some black front billies and be done with it. There will always be a compromise somewhere.

EDIT: Grammar.

Edited by EdCherry

Baz

I wouldn't to be frank.

welshpug

sounds like a Koni yellows with standard diameter spring or some Bilstein yellows would suffice, both are around the £450-500 mark IIRC (inc springs)

or save up a bit more and go for Bilstein inserts in PTS bodies or some AST's at around £850-900 for the full set.

Henry Yorke

The Avo springs are not a nice ride on the road. I know a few who have swapped to Eibach. Only those who want to turn it into a track car seem to switch from Eibach as they are a little soft for that kind of use.

tomcolinjones

The Avo springs are not a nice ride on the road. I know a few who have swapped to Eibach. Only those who want to turn it into a track car seem to switch from Eibach as they are a little soft for that kind of use.

I would only use Eibach springs, or standard springs for the road car.

Anthony

My personal opinion is that I'd look elsewhere, as I'm not a great fan of the ride quality on Avo's and everyone I have known with them has either had them leak and/or the adjusters fail <_<

There's other budget options out there, or consider a good setup secondhand - I've PM'd you about a set that I'll likely have for sale in a few weeks that'll be far better than the Avo's and cheaper too, but if you keep your eye on the For Sale section decent setups crop up from time to time :)

tomcolinjones

My personal opinion is that I'd look elsewhere, as I'm not a great fan of the ride quality on Avo's and everyone I have known with them has either had them leak and/or the adjusters fail <_<

There's other budget options out there, or consider a good setup secondhand - I've PM'd you about a set that I'll likely have for sale in a few weeks that'll be far better than the Avo's and cheaper too, but if you keep your eye on the For Sale section decent setups crop up from time to time :)

Replyed to pm, thanks for the help, everyone says stay away from avo so i shall!

A good seccond hand setup does sound appealing to my wallet indeed.

IIRC -30 is about as low as one should go on a road / track 205 isnt it? and adjust the rear to suit.

Baz

sounds like a Koni yellows with standard diameter spring or some Bilstein yellows would suffice, both are around the £450-500 mark IIRC (inc springs)

Exactly as i'd recommend, with some Eibach springs. :D

As it goes i know an exact setup for sale! ;)

tomcolinjones

Exactly as i'd recommend, with some Eibach springs. :D

As it goes i know an exact setup for sale! ;)

what setup would this be? the very same set i have been offerd by Anthony?

or eibach springs on something else?

Henry Yorke

I run Koni reds on my CTI (with the mandatory Eibachs) and they are a great balance for fast road. The rears are adjustable but the fronts aren't. It is worth considering some BBM strut top bushes too and regrease up / replace your top mount bearings at the same time.

Miles

Avo's are known to leak not just on Pug's either, One bonus thou is they do offer a good repair service :lol:

But I rate them like the cheap Gaz's of not being very good at all but we all have different taste's.

Front Koni's if you must have adjustable dampers with rear Group N billies with Eibach's, Job done

tomcolinjones

I have secured a deal on a set of Koni Sport adjustable front shocks with 40mm lowering springs and group N top mounts, and some KYB AGX adjustable shocks for the rear. all i should need now is a pair of Eibachs for the front.

Would these be the 'pro' springs?