• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
monkee87

Rear Beam Questions!

monkee87

Right, I'm just about to start rebuilding my 309 beam. I had 2 beams which I took to pieces to make a good one out of the 2. One was off a base model so was in good condition and I'm wondering if the trailing arm shafts are going to be okay to re use? I'm not so sure they are and I don't want to ruin my new bearings by using them if they're crap. It's all a case of saving a few bob! :lol:

Don't suggest turning them 180 degrees, I don't have the means to do so. :(

Also, I've found a Partner van in my local scrappy which I might take the torsion bars off for my 309 beam. Would a 21mm spanner fit over the 21.3mm bars? I don't have anything to measure them properly... Probably a really stupid question... Haha.

IMG_1807.jpg

IMG_1806.jpg

IMG_1808.jpg

IMG_1805.jpg

The help is very much appreciated! :)

pug_ham

The last two pic's don't look fantastic to me but can you feel any ridges when you run you finger tip around them?

If you can then they at need rotating 180' or are scrap imo.

If you can fit a 21mm spanner over the partner torsion bars they aren't 21.3mm imo.

Graham.

Anthony

Bottom shaft is certainly scrap because of the corrosion.

Top one subjectively looks OK to reuse judging from the photo, assuming that's just polishing (rather than pitting) on the inner bearing surface.

monkee87

The last two pic's don't look fantastic to me but can you feel any ridges when you run you finger tip around them?

If you can then they at need rotating 180' or are scrap imo.

If you can fit a 21mm spanner over the partner torsion bars they aren't 21.3mm imo.

Graham.

The second shaft isn't flat if that makes sense, but it's not ridiculous. Maybe I will just bite the bullet and buy some new ones. :blink: I don't have the means to turn them 180' unfortunately..

I can't fit a 21mm spanner over the torsion bars, so I kinda guessed they were 21.3mm. It's a P reg van if that makes any difference? There were 2 others there which I could fit the 21mm spanner over the bars.

Also, would it be worth using VTS/ZX trailing arms? It's a road car so I guess there wouldn't be any advantage to doing so.

monkee87

Bottom shaft is certainly scrap because of the corrosion.

Top one subjectively looks OK to reuse judging from the photo, assuming that's just polishing (rather than pitting) on the inner bearing surface.

It's not pitted, all I did was wipe the grease off of it to take the picture. So could I possibly get away with only buying one shaft?

Baz

Yes i'd go with that, certainly from the pics one looks ok and the other possibly suspect, so you'll get away with just buying the one!

davev

am i overlooking something obvisious here. because if you have the ability to replace the shaft then how do you not have the ability to rotate it 180 degrees?

Miles

I'd replace both if keeping the car,

monkee87

am i overlooking something obvisious here. because if you have the ability to replace the shaft then how do you not have the ability to rotate it 180 degrees?

If I replace them I'll get someone to press them out, don't see the point in getting someone to press it out and back in again with a crappy shaft.