• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tomcolinjones

What Beam Should I Use?

J Jones

I am looking for some 21mm Torsion Bars anybody know the best and cheapest place to get them

monkee87

You can get partner 21.3mm torsion bars to fit a 309 beam from Peugeot for about £70 each. :)

Edit - Or if you talk to Antony on here, he can get all sorts of sizes for 205, 309 etc etc.

Edited by monkee87

tdr_1976

I was advised to keep the car on standard ride height by a chap on the British rally forums.

I took what he said on board, as he was part of the PTS Rally Team that backed Kenneth Erricson when he Campaigned the 309.

They tried and tested various different set-ups on both the 205 & 309 to try and sort the problem of "Lift Off Over Steer", until eventually they decided standard ride height was the best option with stiffer torsion bars.

He also reckoned that the gap between the radius arm and bump stop on std ride height avoided the compression of the bump stop, thus avoiding the aid of "Lift Off Over Steer". Basically, the lover you have set your ride height, the closer the arm will be to the bump stop and the higher chance of compression when you hit yumps or crests.

I'm currently running the std XS beam and torsion bar with the Billies, and after two rallies found it to be near spot on for what I put the car through.

As a side note, On the Front I'm running Koni Adjustable Struts along with challenge Spec 160lb Gravel Springs, again, I find the set-up to be stiff, but not too stiff to the point the car under steers.

Edited by tdr_1976

welshpug

but lift off oversteer is not a "problem" its just what they do!

tdr_1976

Like I said in my post, It made sense to me to listen to someone who had a vast level of experience on the subject!

I appreciate that it's in the physics of the car to behave they way it does.

Maybe I should have written my post a bit better, but I had a triple cheese Pizza with my name on it that wanted to be eaten...... so time was in short supply....... :lol: