• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
RickyD

1.9 Gti Rear Caliper Set Up

RickyD

Good Evening All, I've had a slight saga with the O/S rear caliper.

The day after I bought the car whilst driving it on a dual carriage way something fell off the car. I assumed it was an exhaust bungie or something trivial.

Anyway the last few times I've driven the car the rears have been making a metal to metal noise.

I popped around to my Dad's mates to ask him when he could check the car over for the MOT which is due next week.

Anyway two hours later he's fixed the water coolant leak and confirmed that the Magnex exhaust is blowing between the front pipe and four branch manifold.

Lastly I mentioned the rear brakes not being right and guess what, there was no pad in the rear of the caliper. Therefore the cylinder has been rubbing against the disc all this time. He's been able to fit another pad which he had lying around, however when fitting a slider in it was too loose. Could someone please advise his the sliders should be in the top or bottom of the caliper?

Should there also be a retaining spring as there appears to be one on the other side.

Are 106 GTI, Saxo VTR/VTS rear calipers the same?

Thanks in advance.

pug_ham

Moved into the correct section.

The rear pads are held in by a sl;ier bar which hooks around the pad guide & is held in by a spring clip with springs tabs under the upper edge of the pad as in the picture below (although that has a small self tapper screw holding the slider bar in).

post-71-0-31817500-1301148084_thumb.jpg

Graham.

RickyD

Thanks Graham,

I realised after I posted the thread that it was in the incorrect. My apologies and thanks for relocating it.

Great photo, now I understand the set up more. Where can I obtain new clips, springs and sliders from?

My mates Dad was thinking of getting a rear caliper from a scrapped VTR/VTS.

Cheers

RickyD

pug_ham

Pug, Halfrauds or here for second hand ones I expect.

Graham.

RickyD

Had a look on. Ferodo's website and ebay. It suggests that an FB504 kit will suit the 205.

The only difference appear to be that it comes with an normal slider as opposed to a bar as per Graham's pic shown above.

Anyone have any ideas?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FERODO-Rear-Brake-Fitting-Kit-PEUGEOT-106-GTi-RALLYE-/260726969723?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cb489d57b

Cheers

RickyD

RickyD

Had a look on. Ferodo's website and ebay. It suggests that an FB504 kit will suit the 205.

The only difference appear to be that it comes with an normal slider as opposed to a bar as per Graham's pic shown above.

Anyone have any ideas?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FERODO-Rear-Brake-Fitting-Kit-PEUGEOT-106-GTi-RALLYE-/260726969723?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cb489d57b

Cheers

RickyD

Anyone?? The guy on ebay cannot confirm if they will fit a 205. Looking at the photo the slider is more of a bar type than the one on ebay.

Many Thanks

RickyD

ade 4wd

That is the correct fitting kit for your 205 rear calipers.

RickyD

That is the correct fitting kit for your 205 rear calipers.

O.K. thanks for your confirmation ade. I was confused as Graham pic and description states it as a slider bar.

I will order a kit and see what happens.

Cheers

RickyD

Paul_13

If the calipers been grinding on the disc, I'd replace the whole rear setup. Discs, calipers and pads. You may of worn it away so the locating tab on the pad can't locate.

Saxo/ 106/ 306/ Renault 5 gtt all fit BUT use them in pairs. I have one saxo and one 205 caliper same fitment but the distance between piston and body are very slightly different, causing a mismatch of braking effort.

Halfords don't sell the kits anymore, got stuck at work other week because the slider clip fell out, went to halfords and they stopped selling them along with a fair few other bits.

RickyD

Thanks Paul,

I will take your comments on board. Hopefully the kit will arrive this week and may mate's Dad can look at it this weekend.