• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kev-G

Modifying Non-Gti Wheel Arches

Kev-G

Hey Guys,

Got a hankering to build a HDi'd 205. Looking @ later model non-GTi shells for cost/availability/non-sunroof + condition (all generally better than trying to get a cost effective GTi). I have a large stock-pile of GTi parts.

Question is:

If I were to add these arches, could I get away with rolling the arches out or do I need to start cutting (esp. the rears):

205 Extended Arches

If I need to cut then what's the best way to re-join the rear inner + outer skin, and do you think I could also do without having to re-paint (whilst also not looking @ corrosion issues in the next couple of years)?

HDi would also be for track use - Any comments? Maybe best as another topic.

Cheers,

Kev.

woo83

I think you'll definitly have to cut and modify them, i had to do some a few years back there not that hard but it does take time.

The best way i found was to cut the inner arch in half (long ways, just as it starts to curve down to meet the outer skin), cut the outer skin so that it is line with where you've cut the inner arch.

Then cut a strip of mild steel sheet, bend the basic profile so that it fits in the gap you have (but leave about 1-2 cm over hang) then with a hammer and anvil form the extra 1-2 cm into a 90* lip (its a pain in the ar**e but its worth it)

Then i mig welded it to the inner arch, spot welded to the outer and covered the welds in "greystripe" you could do the same job just mig welding it all but the heat will warp the rear quarter if your not carful i would have thought.

The new arches should cover any welds but you'll have to take the fuel tank and filler neck off to do it proberly and safely.

Hope this helps. Woo.

Edited by woo83