• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mhyphenl

Power Steering Piping

mhyphenl

Hi there,

Just finally attaching all the powersteering stuff that can go in before the engine and while looking for bits got confused by this diagram.

post-12223-0-21328000-1301063908_thumb.jpg

Its the bit marked part 9, the u shaped pipe! I simply don't have anything like that as part of my power steering system. When I took mine off there was just a rubber pipe on the low pressure side going from the rack to the bottle, nothing in between. This looks like somthing like fuel pipe that goes under the car!?!? Anyone got any ideas?

Anthony

It's a cooling loop for the power steering fluid, but not really needed in my opinion/experience

tomcolinjones

Hi there,

Just finally attaching all the powersteering stuff that can go in before the engine and while looking for bits got confused by this diagram.

post-12223-0-21328000-1301063908_thumb.jpg

Its the bit marked part 9, the u shaped pipe! I simply don't have anything like that as part of my power steering system. When I took mine off there was just a rubber pipe on the low pressure side going from the rack to the bottle, nothing in between. This looks like somthing like fuel pipe that goes under the car!?!? Anyone got any ideas?

it runs along the front of the car, and helps to cool the fluid down. should be ok without it... they only rot through on other pugs with them fitted. i havnt seen a 205 with one on tho! the cti i have with pas definately doesnt have one.

my old 406 decided to rust through and leak so joined the pipes up to by pass the 'cooler' didnt have any problems with the pas oil getting too hot.

mhyphenl

it runs along the front of the car, and helps to cool the fluid down. should be ok without it... they only rot through on other pugs with them fitted. i havnt seen a 205 with one on tho! the cti i have with pas definately doesnt have one.

my old 406 decided to rust through and leak so joined the pipes up to by pass the 'cooler' didnt have any problems with the pas oil getting too hot.

Interesting though, i love finding out new bits of info on these things, probably more important in hotter climates. Which route did it take and where along the front did it go?

Anthony

it runs along the front of the car, and helps to cool the fluid down. should be ok without it...

Not on a 205 it doesn't - it runs underneath the passenger side of the car, alongside the brakeline using different clips.

tomcolinjones

Not on a 205 it doesn't - it runs underneath the passenger side of the car, alongside the brakeline using different clips.

i shall have to check if the cti has one of these then! i apologise for giving you the wrong info,

mhyphenl

No Probs guys, probably wont bother in that case, I've already got the brake line and the fuel vapour recycle lines down that side, mind you I am trying to do this properly?! I've got an unused pack of fuel line, is that likely to be the same stuff?

shalmaneser

Fuel lines will be fine for power steering fluid, but the cooler (part number 9) is steel, so it's not really relevant.

Hmmm, reading again you might be talking about solid fuel line, in which case yes, it should be the same. Just to confirm the above, it's just a loop of solid line that acts as a cooler. I've still got it fitted on mine, it's not leaking so I left it on when i did my gti-6 conversion, better safe than sorry but i really don't think it's necessary...how hot does power steering fluid get, anyway?

welshpug

depends how hard you use your PAS, say it was a road or stage rally car with a tight diff then it's likely you'd need some sort of cooling loop, if only for the extra fluid in the system not the minimal cooling provided by some steel pipe compared to a proper finned cooler.