• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Huggy bear

Paint Degreaser Or Industrial Alcohol ?

Huggy bear

Hi- Hope you can help - not my 205 but hey I'm sure you won't mind helping me out anyway ;O)

I have an old van which had some stickers/stripes stuck to it - I removed them using the hair dryer/heat method and it did get the majority of them off however they have left behind some of the glue which I have tired removing without joy. I have chucked in a search on google and it came back advising to use either industrial Alcohol or degreaser . My question to you experts is where can I purchase some of this stuff and is there a special one I should use so that I do not remove the paint as well (hence me asking) ?

Your expertise appreciated

Huggy

JonnyGee

Hi- Hope you can help - not my 205 but hey I'm sure you won't mind helping me out anyway ;O)

I have an old van which had some stickers/stripes stuck to it - I removed them using the hair dryer/heat method and it did get the majority of them off however they have left behind some of the glue which I have tired removing without joy. I have chucked in a search on google and it came back advising to use either industrial Alcohol or degreaser . My question to you experts is where can I purchase some of this stuff and is there a special one I should use so that I do not remove the paint as well (hence me asking) ?

Your expertise appreciated

Huggy

go to your motor factors and grab some brake and clutch cleaner gets it off a treat

Huggy bear

go to your motor factors and grab some brake and clutch cleaner gets it off a treat

Takes it back to bare metal doesn't it ;O)

JonnyGee

no its very tame,done quite a few with it.

if u use thinners or the like it will.

jackherer

You're thinking of brake fluid, not brake cleaner.

Redtop

Tar and glue remover is what you want for that. That is what we use in work to de-sticker cars. The likes of autosmart/autoglym etc will have what you need. There will be other brands out there that may be cheaper and do your job. It shouldn't damage the paint, but will probably need buffed if on a long time, as the paint fades with sunlight around the stickers/stripes.

Leet205

Have a look online for an 3m eraser wheel - fits into a drill. good for removing pin stripes /stuborn glue. avalible on ebay or your local auto paint shop

Colin.

Huggy bear

Tar and glue remover is what you want for that. That is what we use in work to de-sticker cars. The likes of autosmart/autoglym etc will have what you need. There will be other brands out there that may be cheaper and do your job. It shouldn't damage the paint, but will probably need buffed if on a long time, as the paint fades with sunlight around the stickers/stripes.

Ordered some so fingers crossed - many thanks

Oh and apologies for the post above about the brake cleaner - I did get my wires crossed , thought he was talking about Brake fluid like some one recognised ... doh !! -- so thanks for the tip handy to know that that has other uses ..

Edited by Huggy bear

Huggy bear

Have a look online for an 3m eraser wheel - fits into a drill. good for removing pin stripes /stuborn glue. avalible on ebay or your local auto paint shop

Colin.

I have orderd the Tar and glue remover but that eraser looks ideal too - think I will order one as well and give it a bash too.

Thanks

Huggy

lemmingzappa

Tar remover or 'Sticky Stuff' is good for this.

allye

Normal off the shelf tar removers are utter cock when it came to removing the glue left over from my Rallye stickers. I must of tried half a dozen products and nothing toched it. Industrial degreaser, autoglym stuff nothing!

Randomly a friend had a can of this in his car

http://www.autoday.co.uk/brilsol-chewing-gum-remover-1-x-400ml/p56

Came straight off! By far the best product I used. Bit late now but hey!

Huggy bear

Thanks for the advice - I went for the Tar and glue remover option - I was amazed at how affective and easy it was - job done !!!

Cheers again