• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Eccentric Top Mounts And Non-Coilover Suspension?

johnnyboy666

are eccentric topmounts compatible with standard shocks?

Only reason I ask is my car is going to be off the road for a lil bit, so it's going to get a bit of a refresh of the suspension etc.

anyway I got some compbrake eccentric topmounts off ebay ages ago brand new for the delightfull sum of £23.50 due to the sellers failure at spelling :)

as with most stuff i get off ebay, it's a case of "that'll be usefull at some point!"

anyway, is there a way of fitting these to standard shocks with some sort of adapter? or is it a coilover only jobby

just asking cos i remember a while ago seeing a pair for sale that came with some sort of top hat washer or summit that enabled them to be used with standard shocks or coilovers. Cant remember who made them tho?

on another note, what is the difference in attaching to the shocks between the standard mount and the eccentric? different thread?

thanks

john

skinner2k3

I too have seen eccentric mounts on standard diameter springs.

The original top spring retainer was used, I dont know if the mounts were specifically design for standard springs or if they had been modified.

Be interested to here peoples thoughts on this, I cant see why it couldnt be done.

pug_ham
I too have seen eccentric mounts on standard diameter springs.

The original top spring retainer was used, I dont know if the mounts were specifically design for standard springs or if they had been modified.

Were they eccentric top mounts you saw or just the group N top mounts with the same upper bearing?

Be interested to here peoples thoughts on this, I cant see why it couldnt be done.

They can be used without any benefit from the eccentric mounts (ie standard positioning) but afaik even trying to position them one whole round from standard the spring hits the inner wing as soon as you start adding lock.

Graham.

tomcolinjones

so they can be used in the standard position, but when trying to change the suspension / steering geomatry it wont realy work? better off using good quality standard top mounts witn non coilover macphearson (sp) struts?

johnnyboy666

ah, yes i knew there had to be a logical reason!