• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alan_M

Saxo Ate Calipers

Alan_M

Not sure if this is the correct section for non-205 stuff but need some advice.

Currently trying to sort a Saxo out for an MOT after the engine gave up. Engine is now sorted and moved onto sorting the rather rusty & worn front brakes yesterday. An hours job maybe I thought to myself, turns out I spent an hour trying to free up the pad guide pins. They just aren't moving.....Of course Haynes says 'simply push out pins with suitbale drift'! Tried smacking them with a drift, using a G-clamp with a modified high grade bolt to push them out, soaking in penetration spray & that freeze spray stuff. Run out of ideas now, bar Dremeling the current pins off and re-drilling the holes. Obviously, taking the caliper off would make this easier but the twat garage that did these brakes before not only forgot to put copper-slip on the pins, they also rounded off the bottom caliper to hub cap-head bolt :angry:

Anybody know where I can spare pins/springs from?

CharlieBoy

It may be quicker to obtain GTi/VTS calipers from a scrappy TBH. Pins you can get from the dealer or GSF (if the latter still sell fitting kits).

FWIW on the new bolts/sliders, use either silicon grease (can buy brake specific) or if used sparingly, CV grease. Copper grease IME makes them stiff, not surprising being an anti seize compound and not a lubricant.

Alan_M

Well, managed to get the passenger caliper off earlier. Taking it to work to sort, maybe if I get it on a bench I'll get a good slog at it. If not, a colleague has offered to knock me up some pins on a lathe if I want to go the Dremel & drill route.

They're the 3 stud non-vented jobs, as it's a beastly 1.1i. So not easy to source replacements.......I gather they fitted different caliper design later on with 4 stud hubs.

Googling this problem has brought up quite a few suffering these type of calipers, and its not just restricted to s*itroen/Pug.....Alfas/Toyotas/BMWs etc.