• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rallysteve

Re-Plating Compbrake Coil-Over Bodies

rallysteve

Does anyone know anything about electro-plating. The plating on my compbrake bodies is very tatty and before I put my new inserts in them I thought I might as well replace the bushes and seals and get them re-plated. Im not fussed by the colour/type of plating aesthetically, I just want them to be reasonably corrosion resistant. My only concern is that getting them plated will mean the threads for the spring platform will be altered by the thickness of the plating and wont work correctly any more.

Can anyone recommend a platers around leicestershire area who can do them? everywhere I tried so far said they only deal with shiny chrome bumpers and wouldnt do them.

Cheers Steve

JonnyGee

might be worth giving compbrake themselfs a bell as they are usually helpful

Redtop

Does anyone know anything about electro-plating. The plating on my compbrake bodies is very tatty and before I put my new inserts in them I thought I might as well replace the bushes and seals and get them re-plated. Im not fussed by the colour/type of plating aesthetically, I just want them to be reasonably corrosion resistant. My only concern is that getting them plated will mean the threads for the spring platform will be altered by the thickness of the plating and wont work correctly any more.

Can anyone recommend a platers around leicestershire area who can do them? everywhere I tried so far said they only deal with shiny chrome bumpers and wouldnt do them.

Cheers Steve

Don't know who can do them for you in your area but the plating will not affect the threads/thickness on your platforms. Ive had loads of stuff plated over the years. They will corode over time again though but if done right will last a fair bit of time. Winter can be sore. Here is some yellow plating I got done a while back. It's supposed to be getting harder to get yellow done, due to them using harsh chemicals eg cyanide iirc.

DSC01681small.jpg