• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Daviewonder

Front Wings?

Daviewonder

Hello All

I could do with a couple of new wings. Theres quite a few base model 205's in the local scrappy, all with good wings. Is it just the shape of the wheel arch that differs between the two? Could the base model arch be trimmed to the GTI shape?

Cheers, Dave :)

Eliganza

Hello All

I could do with a couple of new wings. Theres quite a few base model 205's in the local scrappy, all with good wings. Is it just the shape of the wheel arch that differs between the two? Could the base model arch be trimmed to the GTI shape?

Cheers, Dave :)

It would be ill-advised; the arches are different sizes and then you'd have to drill the holes out (which is surprisingly difficult to get perfect as the arch wont sit right otherwise) i've tried it myself and opted for a pattern wing (though I still needed to cut out a side repeater hole!)

rallyeash

aint worth cocking around with, you will probably bend/kink the wing trying to remove it, also doesn't have the holes for the trim etc.

i bought a pair of wings (pattern) for about £50 i think last year when the rallye had a bare shell rebuild

Daviewonder

What's peoples experience of non gen wings, do they line up ok?

rallyeash

mine were ok, although there was one hole i did need to drill out abit so it lined up ok.

i painted all the inside of my wings before they were fitted, to prevent any rust

pugpete1108

my pattern wings were ok, well one was the other took a little bending and fitting.

dont actually think they were gti ones? but it didnt matter as i fitted rallye arches anyway. also had to cut repeater holes in them which is no biggy,

would advise giving the inner wing (bit you dont see) a good primer/sealer to stop rust etc as they are no where near as protected as oe ones.

matt.f

Suprisingly they don't fit too bad.Just give it a few more coats of primer and a good paint/laquer then stonechip/underseal the inside and it should protect it well.