• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
monkee87

205 Shafts With 309 Arms

monkee87

Can you run 205 shafts with 309 arms?

I've had them next to each other and there isn't much between them. Is there anything wrong in doing this? Especially on a road car.

Daviewonder

I ran my 1.6 like this for 2 years with no problems. :)

Anthony

A search would have revealed this question having been asked (and answered) several times.

Basically, in summary, it's hit and miss - some people have no problems using 205 'shafts, whereas others have had issues and had to run 309 'shafts instead.

monkee87

Cool, thanks! I did look through the steering and suspension threads, but couldn't find it!

tri_longer

A search would have revealed this question having been asked (and answered) several times.

Basically, in summary, it's hit and miss - some people have no problems using 205 'shafts, whereas others have had issues and had to run 309 'shafts instead.

Just a thought Anthony, but we see this kind of thing all the time, and there does seem to be some common questions that get asked all the time epecially by new starters, and we often see the same response that they have looked but couldn't find a thread to help.

Would it be worth collating a pinned thread of common questions with links to one or more historical threads with the said answers. Then as part of the joining process we direct said new starters to this "Common Questions Area"

omega

Would it be worth collating a pinned thread of common questions with links to one or more historical threads with the said answers. Then as part of the joining process we direct said new starters to this "Common Questions Area"

i think thats a good idea but i can see proplems as someimes there is no specific anser eg what springs are best on a 1.6 road car.

GLPoomobile

If you do a search you'll see that this has been proposed and discussed many a time :P

tri_longer

If you do a search you'll see that this has been proposed and discussed many a time :P

very droll :)

monkee87

Does anyone know if Quinton Hazel wishbones are any good? I know people usually recommend motaquip stuff.

oli-pug

Hit and miss again matey. I bought a pair of quinton hazel wishbones a few years ago, the balljoints are still fine on both after 3 years of track abuse but the bushes were really poor on one and failed after a year... the bushes on t'other one were OE kleber and still going strong.

madaxgt

Sorry to jump in on this and turn it on its head but can 306/xsara shafts be used when running 309 wishbones? Does anyone know the lengths of the 309 shafts? I have a set of xsara vts shafts i can measure.

Anthony

306/Xsara shafts are too long unfortunately

lukesaddy

shame that because 306 shafts are thick !! haha

welshpug

no they aren't, they're just large diameter because they are hollow, the inner joint is the same, and the outer joint a small amount larger, not worth the hassle of modifying them when 205 parts are still off the shelf.

C_W

Larger diameter = thicker, surely? lol

welshpug

no, they are thinner as they are hollow :P