• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Strictly_Derv

Squeking/ Creeking From The Rear Of The Car

Strictly_Derv

I lowered my car 2 months ago and since then its started squeaking when the left rear wheel goes over a bump, not when cornering though. I did it before the lowerage but not as much or loud as it is now.

Got a bad feeling its the beam but there's no camber...

Any idea's?

Arahan

Sounds like the beam, though the spare whel carriers squek sometimes too

Strictly_Derv

Are they hard to repair?

The spare wheels out to reduce weight over the back because of the squek, made it abit better tbh

allye

If your beam has never been off your car or repaired before chances are it will be an utter arse to take apart and repair. From what I'v read and herd about gas torches are your best friend when trying to get them apart! blink.gif Theres a couple of beam builders on here who can supply a rebuilt GTI beam in exchange for your for roughly £250. If you don't want to spend that much 2nd hand ones go for about £100 for a ok 1.6 item, rebuild kits are about £70ish but the knowledge and experience of rebuilding them is worth a damn site more!!

Anthony

Classic sign of a dying beam I'm afraid, likely made all the worse when you lowered it and disturbed the seals and (what remains of the) bearings.

Whilst excessive camber is another common sign, it does not happen in all instances, and the lack of camber certainly shouldn't be taken to mean that a beam is good!

There is a guide on the main website about rebuilding rear beams, together with countless topics on the forum.

JRL

Its most likely the beam given the age of them now but rule out other causes of noises by checking your exhasut is secure, spare wheel cage, and rear hatch the rear of my car is very noisy over bumps.

boombang

rebuild kits are about £70ish

If you only need bearings and seals.

Axles are between £50 and £90 each depending on availability.

Beam tubes themselves are lots from Peugeot, but come with bearings already inserted (IIRC £350?)

A good used tube can vary a lot in price too.

I've got a rebuilt beam here for sale, not advertising until I've pulled apart and verified condition though (which I may do tomorrow!)

Strictly_Derv

Cheers for the info people, might just check the boot incase it is that ha

Where's the best place to get a used beam, ebay? My local scrappies useless, has 2 s*itty 5door poverty spec 205's

boombang

Buying a used beam is pointless unless you can verify condition. Any beam not rebuilt by now is realistically going to be knackered.

I ran out of time to check mine over yesterday, if not working next weekend I'll strip it and put up for sale priced dependant on condition I find.

boombang

Where's the best place to get a used beam, ebay? My local scrappies useless, has 2 s*itty 5door poverty spec 205's

BTW, that's not actually a bad place to start if you are going to build a beam.

Because they have softer suspension, they can spread the wear and therefore be a decent basis for a rebuild. That said if any water has got in past the seals, they will still be buggered.

Strictly_Derv

I might into that, see how much they want for one.

how much will cost to get some GTI torsion bars and ARB?