• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

rallyeash

[trackday_prep] 205 2.1 16V Rallye Track Car

rallyeash

Nah 1.9 hubs.

Have -1 degree of camber added into them and holes enlarged to accept the adaptors for the rose joint steering rack.

All fitted now, just need to do the tracking.

welshpug

1.9 hubs aren't hollow cast, and abs ones are rare as anything...

not that it matters, they're meant to be stiffer, but no lighter.

rallyeash

Don't know then. I just done a swap with Allan and he's having my old ones!

rallyeash

Mot in 2 hours time....

rallyeash

Mot passed :-) just taxed it also.

My Super Pro bushes landed and fitted them last week along with new ball joint covers. fitted the proper adaptors which turned up from Bridgecraft.

IMG_0094_zpsab20079d.jpg

IMG_0077_zpscb47d0d5.jpg

and just before leaving for MOT this morning

IMG_0122_zpsb0728b75.jpg

IMG_0123_zps6067f55e.jpg

IMG_0124_zps6944f095.jpg

Tom Fenton

See how you go but I think you will find the bushes too soft which will make the car wander about. You cannot beat the OE Peugeot wishbone bushes.

rallyeash

I'll see how they go. I've always found OE bushes the best but thought I'd give these ones a shot.

rallyeash

ordered a set of Baker BM Grp N engine mounts and I already had the lower one fitted into a spare engine mount. Also changed the Fork bush to the uprated one while i was there.

Changed the Wishbone bushes back to Gen pug ones as there seemed some wandering under power and also fitted a new set of driveshaft seals at the same time.

IMG_3454_zpsba57e427.jpg

27mm rear ARB to replace the 24MM shortened Gti6 one.

IMG_3453_zps0323e179.jpg

petert

What's your impression of the bump steer fix after a month of driving?

chipstick

Is that ARB a custom made 205 length item? Not sure if it's the pics but it looks like the splined end has been cut off and welded on to make it 205 length?

Reason I ask is I have a 27mm one in 306 length. I was intending on cutting it down to 309 length and welding one end cap on, but a 27mm OD is wider than the end cap would accept. I assumed my only option was boring the end cap out to 27mm - which may make the end cap too thin and weak. If yours is in fact chopped and welded with success then I could go down the same route.

rallyeash

Dan,

I bought the ARB as a 25mm diameter from a member off here, it turned up and I thought it looked thicker than that so I stuck a set of verniers around it and measured 27mm so I was happy!

Indeed the spline section has been welded on, so I'm not sure if it was made like that originally as it doesn't look like a home brew. The spline sections are standard 205 end plate size so works well.

PeterT,

In all honestly I haven't really noticed the difference as of yet, the up rated wishbone bushes made the car pull all over the road so I only put standard ones back In yesterday and took it for a spin. It did feel very controllable although to early to really tell.

I think my next move is wishbone angle correction.

rallyeash

Update...

After playing around with the bump steer kit on the steering rack, and still knowing theres a lot of cost to getting the suspension how I'd like and my mate Craig having Colins full suspension kit including rear coilovers makes it hard to resist. The amount of wet grip is unbelievable, ride is lovely and its feels so solid on turn in, braking, power etc so I have just ordered a complete front end setup from Colin. :wub::ph34r:

so Saturday was French Car Show at Combe. I booked a 2 hour open pit session, started off in the wet and by the end of the session was bone dry and blue sky!

10275394_669541399777823_706172499276719

Its now had a few decent polishes since being sprayed earlier this year, Im pleased with the amount of shine it has now :)

IMG_3567_zps30ad65dd.jpg

also had some decals left from a 306 rallye decal set so changed the front ones which I think makes it look much cleaner

IMG_3574_zps41147756.jpg

rallyeash

Need to get a new grill though! mines been cut about and its all flappy

allye

Sorry ash that front decal is gash!

rallyeash

looks better in the flesh I think. Suits better than the older style ones...

chipstick

I think it suits it. Even more so perhaps if you removed the rear stripes also.

rallyeash

Yeah I thought that too. I've got a plan on the rear anyhow... Although I'm concerned it'll look bare just to not have any on there

Henry 1.9GTi

what does the new front setup consist of?

rallyeash

strengthened and heavily modified subframe with revised wishbone pick up points, tubular wishbones with rose joint inners, 406 hubs utilising screw in ball joints, revised roll centre, revised bump steer, rose joint steering rack ends, no front arb.

welshpug

look at drsarty's thread for pics :D

Henry 1.9GTi

sounds like a big overhaul! interested to see how you get on. Although Iv'e reached a point with mine where I can't put any more £ into it. Been chasing suspension for years and only had it right once and couldn't replicate after the event.

Be selling within a few years to build a proper car ;)

rallyeash

Most of the Sandy race engine builds have Colins suspension in some form and the grip is brilliant. Wet grip is very good indeed and its a fairly softly sprung setup.

My mate Craig has got Colins front end and also his rear coilovers. Ive driven that, been in passenger and also chased each other countless times on trackdays. Mine has more outright speed but his entry speed is better, and its such a smooth ride.

Henry 1.9GTi

fair enough. I suppose that suits you down to the ground as its still sees some road miles?

I can get away with a little less compliance due to always being on a smooth race track! Iv'e just always suffered from mid corner understeer in med-highspeed corners. Turns in well mind. Still going through the motions of testing out springs / rear abrs and geo / tyre pressure settings. So hopefully will get it in the ball park next time out. I have a run plan! haha

great build anyway m8 keep up the forum posts, makes an interested break from frigging excel

rallyeash

Even Colins full race chasis aren't that stiff, well they are compared to a road car but he's got the geo correct and the suspension working right whereas most track/race cars including mine are pretty stiff in the thought less roll = better handling and grip.

Henry 1.9GTi

well the stiffer the car the worse the mechanical grip. But you probably gain it back in tyre geometry control. I found that the hardest thing. I run pretty stiff; last time out was 60N/mm front with 309 ARB 25mm rear TBs and ARB. And I still had to run max camber ~4.1deg to get the front end to have some grip. This really affects the braking, ultimate stopping power seemed ok but it was O so easy to lock the wheels and I indeed runined two tyres, completely delaminated.

I have now gone to 70N/mm and a 28mm rear arb amongst some other changes. But in heave it still bottoms out at the bottom of paddock hill (bit of a one off I know) and I don't run a low ride height for just that reason. Good inch or more gap between tyre and plastic bit of arch.

Anyway, much more tweaking to be done. Its always going to be hard to balance a car that runs the same tyre front to rear with a 62-4% front weight distribution. And mine is a standard shell with no strengthening or arch mods. Just havnt got the scope to go further with the shell so will be buying something stiffer to start with in a few years :)