• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kate205gti

Coilover Makeover

kate205gti

had my car up on the ramps today at local tyre place and noticed my coilovers were covered in crud, going to whip them off this weekend and clean them up but is there anything else I can do to give them a bit of an overhaul without sending them away? :)

Super Josh

Worth greasing up the threads to aid future adjustment Kate :D

Josh

omega

Worth greasing up the threads to aid future adjustment Kate :D

Josh

but if you do this then the dirt and muck will then stick into the grease makeing it worse when you come to adjust them makeing a nice grinding paste,or am i wrong?

makeing them look like kitty litter maybe :D

Edited by omega

welshpug

kinda, but you can give them a blast with brake cleaner before adjusting them, then cover with grease again, doing it like this will help slow the onset of corrosion.

Batfink

make sure you clean all the dirt off before you adjust the rings. Many coilovers die when this is not done, damaging the thread.

timstemi16

yes you definately want to keep them as clean as you can. I forgot about my old gaz ones and before i knew it muck had really taken its toll on them they had pitted under the bumpstops and the main body rusts quickly. Some sort of silicon spray would probably keep them nice for alot longer

Baz

The Gaz's are really bad for it!

Yes if you grease up and tape the unused threads then you should limit the dirt ingress/corrosion! :)