• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
2ltrrabbit

Quick Rack Into Powersteering Rack

2ltrrabbit

Hi,

just wondering if it was possible to fit a quick rack into a powersteering rack?

ta

Tom Fenton

A search on the subject of steering rack ratios will reveal lots of information.

Also telling us what you are trying to achieve is often helpful?

In summary, the standard power rack is around 3.2 turns lock to lock and is a decent ratio that suits the car as it is. The standard non-power rack is 3.8 turns and is not that great.

The Quaife quick rack kit is about 2.8 turns but will not fit the power rack housing as far as I know.

However the 306 GTI has a faster power rack at something like 2.8 turns, the Xsara VTS mk 1 and 2 also faster power racks at 2.4 and 2.6 turns respectively. Both of these will fit with some mods needed to the seal on the bulkhead.

welshpug

306 is actually over 3 turns, but limited by about a 3rd of a turn on right lock due to the gearbox protruding into the wheelarch.

2ltrrabbit

i currently have a quaife rack in my stage rally car but its very heavy and would like to have it powered. looks like i may have to mod an electric system to suit if i want it. why wont the quaife fit the standard powered rack.

welshpug

Because the PAS pinion is different, Quaife don't do PAS pinions.

If you want to retain your Quick rack then an electric assisted column such as one form a Corsa B or C would be ideal.