• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tri_longer

Customising Front Arb

tri_longer

I'm having thoughts about getting some customer drop links made, but given the nature of the ARB this is made difficult by the nature of the attachment point being horizontal.

I was thinking along the lines of cutting off the current attachment point, then drilling and tapping the bar to take a rose-joint, this then allows you to make up your drop links to suit.

Has anyone else done anything like this before, or does any of the engineering savvy people on here think that it is possible (my main concerns being strength of the bar etc)

Cheers

Chris.

edbar
I'm having thoughts about getting some customer drop links made, but given the nature of the ARB this is made difficult by the nature of the attachment point being horizontal.

I was thinking along the lines of cutting off the current attachment point, then drilling and tapping the bar to take a rose-joint, this then allows you to make up your drop links to suit.

Has anyone else done anything like this before, or does any of the engineering savvy people on here think that it is possible (my main concerns being strength of the bar etc)

Cheers

Chris.

Didnt X-sport do something like this?

Tom Fenton

There are plenty of ways to do it, however it isn't really worth it with the standard bar as all you are doing is replicating what you have, there is no great advantage to that. It would be easy to make a bolt on piece to fit to the bar and accept a rose joint link, you would just have to ensure there is enough articulation in the joint to allow you to still steer. But again, no real advantage over the standard drop link, no lighter etc.

If I were re engineering the front AR bar then I would fit a bar with splined ends, running in bearing blocks on the underside of the subframe. Then cranked plate links going forwards to pick up a rose jointed drop link. This would allow easy adjustment of front roll stiffness by drilling a series of holes in the plate links and moving the drop links nearer or further from the pivot point.

marksorrento205

I know phillipm on the gti6 forum ( cant remember his user name on here ) makes them for the gti6. I think he was looking into 205 ones as well.

Rippthrough
I know phillipm on the gti6 forum ( cant remember his user name on here ) makes them for the gti6. I think he was looking into 205 ones as well.

Just use an adaptor plate like Tom mentions - bolts into the ARB and then it takes the 306 links.

Although I'm going to be doing adjustable front arb's shortly so they'll bolt straight into those.

swordfish210

I remember a while back at a place i used to work my boss showed me a pair of rose jointed drop links that he had made that he said were for a mates 205. I never saw the ARB he was using but the thing that struck me was that the drop links were quite a bit shorter than the standard ones.

tri_longer
Just use an adaptor plate like Tom mentions - bolts into the ARB and then it takes the 306 links.

Although I'm going to be doing adjustable front arb's shortly so they'll bolt straight into those.

Sounds very interesting, love to see some pics when it's done.

woo83

I made some earlier this year for steffrallyes' 106, we just made a simple clevis that bolted through the original hole in the ARB.

theres some pics on his blog i think.

here

EDIT: just realised he has'nt any pics of the clevises. there similar in design to these though.here

Edited by woo83