• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
monkee87

Indicator Intermittent Fault. Please Help!

monkee87

Basically, when I get into my car after it's been sat over night, the indicators won't work and the relay just buzzes. Hazard lights work though...

But, when the car is warmed up, they work!! Stupid thing! I don't know if it's like the heater warming the fuse box or something that makes them work.

Anyone got any bright ideas??

flipperthebushkangaroo

Intermittent indicator? light comes on light goes off thats how they're suposed to work!!!!!! :)

Sorry couldn't help myself, seriously it sounds like you have a sticky relay should be a quick/ cheap change from a scrappy check you have power to the relay inputs when selected on if so check earth if both there (should be if it works at all) pretty much got to be the relay.

Hope this helps

Roddie

monkee87
Intermittent indicator? light comes on light goes off thats how they're suposed to work!!!!!! :)

Sorry couldn't help myself, seriously it sounds like you have a sticky relay should be a quick/ cheap change from a scrappy check you have power to the relay inputs when selected on if so check earth if both there (should be if it works at all) pretty much got to be the relay.

Hope this helps

Roddie

I don't think it's the relay as I've tried 2 others in there and nothing changed. Didn't know if they were good relays as I got them from a scrap yard though. Probably the earth then I guess, but that makes no sense as to why they start working when the car is all warmed up.

The earth points are the ones by the headlights i'm guessing?

Thanks!

Tom Fenton

Personally I would try another indicator stalk next. If you are decent with a wiring diagram you could unplug from the stalk and link the appropriate pins with a bit of wire to simulate the switch in the stalk and test the rest of the circuit.

monkee87
Personally I would try another indicator stalk next. If you are decent with a wiring diagram you could unplug from the stalk and link the appropriate pins with a bit of wire to simulate the switch in the stalk and test the rest of the circuit.

I did think it could possibly be that as I have swapped it since getting the car. The stalk used to get stuck when putting full beam on, but I can't remember if the indicators played up! D'oh! I'll pick one up next time i'm at the scrap yard. :)

monkee87

Right, I've tried another indicator stalk and some spare relays, but to no avail.. The earth points by the headlights look fine and I know the one in the boot is fine as I've cleaned it up really recently. I'm no good with wiring, so I don't know where to start!

Can any one help diagnose this? It's begging to become very annoying as my GTi is my daily driver..

welshpug

try another hazard switch, all the indicator wiring goes via this.

monkee87

Cheers for the heads up welshpug! Looks like that is the problem.. When the relay buzzes when the indicators are on and you tap the hazard switch, they start working! Unfortunately I realised I don't have a spare switch. I've got like 6 spare switches lying around but no hazard one. :rolleyes: so now I need a switch with all 8 pins on the back. >_>

SPetrie

Exactly the same thing happened to me, I took out the switch, realised I didn't have a replacement the same, put it back in, and bingo it worked!