• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Miles

Got To Love Fitting Hoods

Miles

Well as they say there's a first time for everything and having had my last one done by someone else I'd thought I'd give it ago, 6 hours later I've got this far and it's coming on very well, Only got the side's to fix down along with a coupe of little bits on the back window then ready for the Summer if we ever get one again, mind it won't be used much as I'd hate for it to clock up 30k.

At least then I can swap it with my Race car to get that done, Only around 6 weeks left before the start of the season again :)

post-43-1298763729_thumb.jpg

post-43-1298763748_thumb.jpg

EdCherry

No testing? Already had my first race of the season at Ascari!

6 Weeks, does that mean my race car could be finished before yours?

This the auto jap thing with everything going?

Henry Yorke

Pics of the tensioner wires please and your home made rear hood stiffeners. What hood did you go for in the end? A BAS international one?

Miles

BAS Hood and there wire's, which are just a coated wire unlike the std ones so might last longer, It's a tight fit for sure but hopefully a night of being stretched with the heating on should make it eaiser this afternoon to finish.

No pics of the rear mounts I;m afraid, But thankfully the only usable part was the curve at the back so the front section was just replace which is all straight bar a curve on the top of it

Miles

All done, Back ends abit tight but hopefully it will settle down when left out in the sun, Leak tested today thanks to the rain too

post-43-1298847947_thumb.jpg

steve@cornwall
All done, Back ends abit tight but hopefully it will settle down when left out in the sun, Leak tested today thanks to the rain too

Fun, aren't they? It may help to adjust the hood frame and front hooks to slacken off the rear quarters at first - I managed to rip the stitching through the pvc of the rear window section (not a new section, mind) when I fitted it too tight.

Out of interest, do you reckon stiffeners could be moulded from GRP? I've been extremely fortunate enough to get good s/h ones for both my CTi and the one I replaced the roof on, but have a spare pair if anyone needs to take a mould.

Henry Yorke

I has my BAS one in the loft unfitted. Where do the tensioners go exactly as I couldn't see them on Service box?

Bonez

where did you get the hood from and how much was it?

i fitted one on my old roland garros but not wanting to do that again on my CTI so wondering to get it done somewhere but no idea what the cost is going to be!

Raccoon

I fitted a new rear window in my CTi, no chance I'll do it again. It was the most frustration thing I've ever attempted, so I can't begin to imagine how bad fitting the entire hood is. :wacko:

Miles

BAS international, based in Wales I think. Quality is very good too cost was around £300.00

As for Fitting, I think a trimmers would charge a good £500.00

The rear window's easy, Now I;ve done this one another would be quite easy, just the metal work that takes the time

Bonez

thats not a bad price for the hood, and fitters want £500 to fit a hood i will be going at it alone again! lol but this time i'll try getting hold of some instructions for it!

Henry Yorke

There are some instructions uploaded on the PSOOC site Ade on how to fit it :)

steve@cornwall

I has my BAS one in the loft unfitted. Where do the tensioners go exactly as I couldn't see them on Service box?

post-7883-0-85816800-1299596006_thumb.jpg

post-7883-0-60975800-1299596078_thumb.jpg

Replacement was a stainless cable from a chandler's - they also added the loop properly - and all for under a fiver IIRC

Edited by steve@cornwall

Bonez

not registered on there any more H

anybody got any on here? had a quote of £534 fitted so thinking of fitting it my self but this time the correct way not the "that'll do" way lol

Bonez

dont know if you got my email reply but cheers for the guide etc H