• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Sqeaky Beam

pugpete1108

what i thought was my boot squeaking has turned out to be my freshly rebuilt beam squeaking under load on the passenger side. ;)

worth pulling the beam apart to regrease the bearings ? or something else?

grrrr

Anthony

Double check that it is definitely the beam that's squeaking, and not the exhaust or damper - I've seen both cause squeaking that was initially suspected to be a beam related issue. Easy to prove if you can replicate the issue by bouncing the back up and down with the car stationary as you can just disconnect/remove the suspect items. Spare wheel and cage can cause it too.

If it is the beam, then you'll have to strip it down and see what the issue is - unlikely to just be a greasing issue in my opinion, and more likely you'll see marking on the trailing arm shaft if it's a bearing related issue after a few hundred miles running. I assume that the bearing rotated freely and there was no play between the arm and tube when you put the beam together (assuming you built it yourself)

pugpete1108

i can hear a noise (not so much a sqeak but a creak/grinding) when i push the back of the car down. might get the old lady to do it while i crawl underneath.

i do recal the mot bloke saying i had some play in the arm so maybe that is it? plus when i refurbed it i didnt change the shafts (they had some marks but no major pitting) so this could be it.

tbh then i may just wait and refurb it again with some xsara arms and new shafts so i can have disks on the rear.

do xsara arms fit with the gti tb's and arb? same bearings etc.

Anthony

If there's play in the arm and it's creaking/squeaking then there's something quite major wrong with it :angry:

Shafts with just some light marking won't cause that on its own IMO, at least not just in a few hundred miles. You really do need to strip it and rectify the cause ASAP in my opinion, as I'd argue that a car with play in the rear arms isn't particularly safe to drive, and regardless, you'll likely destroy the bearings followed by the tube if you carry on.

Xsara arms are a direct replacement for 205 arms - just need to run 306/Xsara disks as the hubs are a slightly different offset.

pugpete1108

i'll check for any play over the weekend, and if i find any i'll strip that side out and have a butchers.

pita these cars eh? just when you think you dont need to fix anything else....bang there you go :angry:

cheers Ant

Anthony

Apologies if it sounds like I'm teaching you to suck eggs... but I assume when you were pushing up and down on the rear and got a creaking sound, you did have the handbrake off, didn't you? If it was on, then the creak might be a red herring as you'll often get all manner of creaks and groans from the handbrake (particularly on disk braked models) when you push up and down on the back - make sure that it's off and try again.

Either way though, if the MOT man is reporting that there's play it really does need to be checked.

pugpete1108
Apologies if it sounds like I'm teaching you to suck eggs... but I assume when you were pushing up and down on the rear and got a creaking sound, you did have the handbrake off, didn't you?

..................... ;) erm i do believe it was on. i'll check that first then. its drums though

welshpug

drums can still squeak.

pugpete1108

i havent had time to check for play yet...but i did bounce it with the handbrake off and it still grumbled so thought id have a look underneath and found the lower strut bush has gone which would explain alot.

i'll change it then have another look at the beam if its still noisy

cheers guys.

pug_ham

If you're taking the rear shocks off bounce it gently with them removed to help isolate any noises even further.

Graham.