• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sceptre

Upgrading Brakes On Base Models

sceptre

Hi,

I boiled my brake fluid the other day on a mountain pass up in the lakes and the braking just hasn't been the same since, so (with unwilling help from the girlfriend) I'm going to change the fluid when I get the chance.

Just wondering what my options are for upgrading the brakes, I have the standard steelies on but would the 1.6 vented discs be a straight fit keeping the current callipers? And I assume the GTIs have disc brakes all the way round, how tricky is it to upgrade these on my sceptre?

I've tried a few searches on here but haven't been able to find a clear-cut answer.

Thanks in advance!

Sceptre

Peetypug

1.9 calipers and disks will bolt straight on.

Whether they will fit under the wheels I don't know. I take it they are 13 inch wheels?

Edited by sorrentopete

GeorgeXS

You have a few options regarding Gti setups.

Keeping the current hubs you can:

Fit 1.6 calipers (essentially the same caliper but with a wider pad carrier ie. just get hold of some pad carriers if your calipers are in good nick) and with them some 1.9 discs which are the perfect offset.

Fit full 1.9 Gti setup, calipers and discs.#

AFAIK as long as they are both in fine fettle there isn't much between them performance wise, but don't quote me on this.

Hope this helps

PS as above not sure if 1.9 setup fits under the standard 13" steelies but i'm fairly confident the 1.6 one does as I think i've seen it done pn here before.

Edited by GeorgeXS

allye

1.9 set up does not fit under 13's, it bairly fits under my 14's! I don't think 1.6 set up will either.

GeorgeXS
Dscf2521.jpg

As good as the breaking system was, during a Rally, I experienced some serious brake fade. So I decided I was going to fit Drilled Grooved vented discs.

To do this, I needed to fit either 1.9 GTi brakes or fit 1.6 GTi pad carriers onto my existing pistons. I decided to go the 1.6 brake route. After asking a few questions on this very forum, the answers came and it was recommended that in order to fit, I needed to fit 1.9 GTi discs with the 1.6 GTi pad carriers. The difference was amazing, I also cut the driving lights backing from the front spoiler to allow more airflow to the brakes.

new%20disks1.jpg

To quote tdr_1976's xs rally car project above, he runs on 14's and 13's albeit i don't think they're the originals. So they'll definitely fit under some 13's.

sceptre

yeah they are the standard steelies

Looks like i'll need to replace at least one of the units anyway as the bleed nipple ringed off flush with the piston housing :)

Why is it never as simple as it should be?

Aha, thanks GeorgeXS, sounds like a plan!

Shopping list is now:

1 x standard piston

2 x gti 1.6 pad carriers

2 x gti 1.6 vented discs

The backs can stay as they are for the moment.

tomcolinjones
yeah they are the standard steelies

Looks like i'll need to replace at least one of the units anyway as the bleed nipple ringed off flush with the piston housing :)

Why is it never as simple as it should be?

Aha, thanks GeorgeXS, sounds like a plan!

Shopping list is now:

1 x standard piston

2 x gti 1.6 pad carriers

2 x gti 1.6 vented discs

The backs can stay as they are for the moment.

you need 1.9 discs with base model hubs

tdr_1976

Hi,

The 13" wheels I use are not the standard XS ones. They are Rallye wheels with an ET20 offset.

The dish on the standard ones is too shallow.

Dscf3372.jpg

Edited by tdr_1976

Batfink

what suspension do you have?

tdr_1976
what suspension do you have?

I'm running Koni adjustable Struts with Ti Motorsport 160lb Challenge Springs.