• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stuart

309 Wishbone Dimensions

stuart

I've just bought a set of 309 "wide track" wishbones off ebay but when comparing them next to all my spare 205 ones there seems to be little or no difference...

Also on one of them, the end where the ball joint is looks bent forwards slightly but can't tell for sure.

The castings are slightly different as I expect they're pattern parts but it still doesn't look right to me.

Is there any definitive way of telling if these are 309 items before I get in contact with the seller?

I was expecting them to have no 'webs' in the casting like the 205 wishbones have and the straight bit near the ball joint to be longer...does that sound about right?

Last time I saw a 309 wishbone was in a scrapyard about 6 years ago but I seem to remember that there was an obvious difference in appearance...

Thanks for looking

Stu

kyepan

10mm longer

Anthony
I was expecting them to have no 'webs' in the casting like the 205 wishbones have and the straight bit near the ball joint to be longer...does that sound about right?

Certainly the easiest way to tell them apart at a glance is that 205 GTi wishbones have the webbing, whereas 309 GTi ones don't.

stefan

Are only the 309 gti wishbones longer then the 205 ones, or are they longer on all 309's?

Edited by stefan

Anthony

All 309's, but only 309 GTi/TD wishbones will fit a 205 GTi. Base model 309's use a TCA setup similar to base model 205's

stuart

Thanks for all the replies already!

Just been out to measure them properly this time and they are all 205 ones....selller has 100% positive feedback so hopefully I'll sort it out.

Whilst on the subject, or not, I"ve also bought a 205 power steering rack from the same seller which I'm not too sure about either. Can anyone confirm if this is a 205 rack or not?

Here's a pic of it next to a std 205 one.

th_Image0901.jpg

It's about 3.2 turns lock-lock which I understand is right for a 205 rack.

Thanks again

Stu

Edited by stuart

stefan
All 309's, but only 309 GTi/TD wishbones will fit a 205 GTi. Base model 309's use a TCA setup similar to base model 205's

Yes, that's what I ment to ask - all 309's with an XU block?. You said 309 GTi/TD wishbones, what about all other models-like 1.9D and 1.6 petrol? Are all of their wishbones also 10mm longer then the 205's?

I'm asking because 309gti's are rare, but the other's can be found.

Edited by stefan

rallysteve
Yes, that's what I ment to ask - all 309's with an XU block?. You said 309 GTi/TD wishbones, what about all other models-like 1.9D and 1.6 petrol? Are all of their wishbones also 10mm longer then the 205's?

I'm asking because 309gti's are rare, but the other's can be found.

Any 309 that has lower wishbones will be the same. Base model ones dont have wishbones though, they have a track control arm (bit like half a wishbone) similar to low spec 205s and UK rally i believe

Steve

Anthony
Whilst on the subject, or not, I"ve also bought a 205 power steering rack from the same seller which I'm not too sure about either. Can anyone confirm if this is a 205 rack or not?

It's difficult to tell from that blurry photo tbh, but from what I can make out it looks like a 205/309 PAS rack.

Quick way to tell is that 205/309 PAS racks have a spline drive column, whereas 306/Xsara (and I think ZX) PAS racks have a square drive. The total length of the rack plus track rods should be approximately the same as your existing rack - 309 will be a little longer than a 205 one thanks to different track rods, but it doesn't really affect anything and can be used on a 205 fine (my car is running one for example).

pug_ham

I agree, that looks like a 205 PAS rack from the shaky picture but even if its from a 309 you only need to wind the TRE's in about 10mm each side.

In the UK (& my findings at least) basic n/a XUD's have the base model tca & arb set up with some of the injected XU5's having the wishbone type set up but my old phase 1 SRI had the tca style arms.

Only the TD & GTI models generally had the same wishbone & droplink / ARB arrangement along with the some phase 2 GRi's.

Graham.

stuart
It's difficult to tell from that blurry photo tbh, but from what I can make out it looks like a 205/309 PAS rack.

Quick way to tell is that 205/309 PAS racks have a spline drive column, whereas 306/Xsara (and I think ZX) PAS racks have a square drive. The total length of the rack plus track rods should be approximately the same as your existing rack - 309 will be a little longer than a 205 one thanks to different track rods, but it doesn't really affect anything and can be used on a 205 fine (my car is running one for example).

Thanks for the replies again, it is a spline drive soI'm fairly confident that it is a 205 rack then, it's 3.2ish turns lock-lock too.

I did buy a lower coloumn for it but think I must just have an early type one as the splines on the rack are too big for it...hopefully sort one out today.

Back onto the wishbones and the seller insists that they are 309 ones, that they are an earlier casting and the ones without webbing are aftermarket relpacements...hmm wool and eyes springs to mind. I'm sticking to my guns though as they are identical to all my 205 ones!

Here's a pic:

'309' wishbones

Hopefully getting a set of actual 309 arms today so will take a pic side by side and there should be no arguments.

Not having much luck this week getting the right parts!

Thanks again

Edited by stuart

pug_ham
Back onto the wishbones and the seller insists that they are 309 ones, that they are an earlier casting and the ones without webbing are aftermarket relpacements...hmm wool and eyes springs to mind. I'm sticking to my guns though as they are identical to all my 205 ones!

Claiming they are an earlier casting doesn't explain why they are the same size as the 205 ones when they should be noticabley longer.

p1020743e.th.jpg

Webbed 205, plain 309.

Even in a poor picture like mine you can clearly see the size difference.

Graham.

Miles

He's talking *****, If they where that early the boots and joints would be well past it by now, I;ve seen allot of 309's and broken 1987 models all with the plain wishbone