• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tdr_1976

Plumbing In A Hydraulic Handbrake On A Pug 205

tdr_1976

I'm about to fit a hydraulic handbrake onto my Pug 205 and am not too sure how to plumb it in.

The car has dual lines going to the rear brakes, The master cylinder only has one inlet and one outlet.

I have noticed that people also have a bias valve fitted, is it needed to make the system work?

Any advice would be great!

Cheers!

Rob Thomson

Sounds like your car is a 1.9 GTi with a diagonally split system; i.e. each half of the master cylinder feeds one front and one rear brake. To use a hydraulic handbrake you need to change to a front/rear split with one pipe feeding the rears.

That's actually quite simple to do, replumb the fronts so they're both fed from the same 'half' of the master cylinder; i.e. either the pair of ports closest to OR furthest from the servo. Then connect the a pipe for the rears to one remaining port and block the other (you can get plugs for that purpose from any good motor factor), or you can tee them together. Either way, you should have a pipe feeding each of the front brakes and one pipe running into the car for the rear brakes. This then connects to the bias valve (if you have one) and then into the handbrake master cylinder. From there run another pipe to the back of the car, and tee into two pipes to connect to the rear brakes. Job done.

A bias valve isn't essential but is a good plan to stop the rears from locking under hard braking and to allow you to adjust the bias to suit your preference. As above, it should be fitted between the master cylinder and the handbrake cylinder.

I hope that helps.

tdr_1976

Thanks for that mate, it helps a LOT!

Much appreciated.

Cheers!