• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dch1950

Intermediate Pipe

dch1950

Hi all,

My intermediate metal pipe finally rotted away and needs replacing. To get to it I need to remove the black plastic guard piece which is fixed in the driver side wheel arch. Are these torx head screws holding it in place? The pipe itself fixes to the lower edge of the same part of the inner wing and of course, everything is quite well crudded up and I can't see how that fixes either (only one fixing is still in place) is it another screw or is it a bolt through?

I know this seems a daft question but until I can get these damn things undone I can't put my new hoses on (thanx Stew) and my nice new pipe. Any help appreciated

regards

Dave

welshpug

Mine were large Posi headed screws B) they're now SS capscrews :(

Cameron

The metal water pipe? Yes the torx / phillips screws hold it in place iirc.. invest in an impact driver and it'll be much easier!

welshpug

HSS drill bits and an M6 tap would be more suited if you've never had it off :(

dch1950

Thanx WP.

Is it the same for both the pipe and that plastic guard? They share a common fixing point/hole for the forward fixing.

PS What's an SS capscrew ?

regards

Dave

cRaig

Stainless Steel Capscrew, socket or cap scew head bolt, anything to try and stop the stuff in that wheel arch rusting up again :(

Cameron

Don't use stainless fasteners for this! If you thought getting a rusty mild steel screw out was difficult, wait til you try getting out a micro-galled stainless screw. :(

Ps if you're going to try drilling the screw out, you'd better have some very tough drill bits; cheap bits will be blunted by rusty fasteners in no time.

dch1950

Hi all,

some useful replies, I have an impact driver that I can use, but the question I really wanted answering was what is the fixing type - i.e. Torx (T40? perhaps), posidrive or allen key for the original fasteners.

It would be nice to get them well soaked and then undone with the right tool.

regards

Dave

Cameron

Are the heads really that mangled that you can't tell!?

They're Posidrive on mine, or they were.. replace them with some 10mm hex heads to make your life easier in the future.

dch1950

Hi all,

finally got them all out this afternoon!. Real sods - I resorted to my tried and tested method of knocking them undone with a hammer and small cold chisel. Unfortunately had to cut the plastic a bit to free the bottom fixing - bugger. Will tidy up the threads with a tap and then replace them all. Last part of the job to do now,push hoses in place (with new clips) and then rescrew the 2 inter pipe brackets. Job's a good 'un.

thanx

Dave