• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
u47sb2

14 Inch Tyre Advice Please

u47sb2

I'm needing to replace the tyres on my completely standard 1.6 cherry red but am not sure what to go for. For info it is currently on a mix of michelins (which are ancient judging by the cracking on the sidewall!!) and dunlops that are shagged. I did like the toyo t1-r's I had on another car last year in 15 inch but want to keep this one on original rims so must be 14s which toyo don't do the t1-r in. Decent grip including for the wet for confidence on the road is what I'm looking for and this car doesn't go near the track. Cost doesn't hugely matter. Suggestions?

Steven

RossD

I'm using Kumho Ecsta's on mine (185/55R14) which seem very good for the price. Hard to compare to other tyres though. Even though it's a completly different car, I'm using Falken ZE912's on my Xsara which seem very impressive!

In theory you could probably go up in the price range and get something better, but from the reviews I've read, for the extra price you pay for something like Michelins, the performance isn't as good as you'd hope for the extra premium you pay when compared to the ZE912.

Edited by RossD

tdr_1976

I've got two 185/60/13 ZE 912's on the back of my 205, and they are Very good in both wet and dry conditions. I did have them on the front for around 2,000 miles and did one road rally with them and were surprisingly good in muddy greasy conditions too!

Another tyre worth looking at is the Toyo CF1, I'm using them on the front of the car at the moment, just as good as the Falken.

Both great tyres for the money!

u47sb2

Thanks folks, gives me something to look at.

u47sb2

Just ordered Toyo CF-1s at a decent price.

flipperthebushkangaroo

Can you give some feedback on these when you have run them for a while please?

Thanks

u47sb2

Well, having finally got round to swapping the tyres over I put the wheels back on today. First impressions of the CF-1 are that they give little road noise and seem to grip quite well from the off. Will post again when I've put a few hundred miles on them.

u47sb2

The toyo cf-1's are doing well so far. Grippy enough for some hard driving in the dry and quite good in the wet. Very sensitive to what pressures they're inflated to - dropping the rear pressures from 30 to 28 has made it very sure footed from being rear steering.