• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mainline

Heater Matrix

mainline

Hello guys. I spent most of this morning and early afternoon dismantling the interior of my 205. Have removed the radio, air vents, centre console, heater controls and other switches, instrument panel and shroud, the plastic bit under the bonnet, the wiper arms, glove box, digital clock, ash tray and steering column shrouds. I can't see the matrix, nor am I sure where it is exactly. I've undone the bolts into the facia from under the bonnet but I haven't been able to take the whole fascia off, i'm assuming its attached in various hard to reach places. Is it necessary to do all this? Do I need to take the whole fascia apart and remove it to access the matrix as the manual describes?

Its not that I mind doing it, but just the thought of putting it all back together without effing it up that's starting to worry me :)

Any help or guidance much appreciated.

alphacharlie

I need the matrix on mine from the drivers footwell, pretty sure it was one piece of trim from under the steering wheel area and that was all.

If you follow the pipes into the car from the engine bay you will see them turn 90 degrees and go into the matrix, pretty sure the matrix has 2 screws into the housing and just slides out into the footwell once its all undone, put something on the carpet to catch any excess water as you bring it out.

Was all done and dusted in about 30 mins then a quick bleed

Cheers

AC

Edited by alphacharlie

Anthony

Ignore the Haynes manual.

1. Remove the stereo
  2. Remove the lower center console
  3. Remove the drivers side lower-dash section
  4. Part-drain the cooling system
  5. Disconnect the two coolant hoses in the engine bay
  6. From the drivers footwell, you should be able to see the two heater matrix pipes, and the two screws that hold the heater matrix in. Remove the pipes first (there's a non-obvious screw towards the rear of the heater box) and once they're removed, withdraw the heater matrix.

Refitting is the reverse of removal and all that :)

(well, that's the case for Phase 1.5 and Phase 2 cars anyway - not sure whether Phase 1's are more involved)

Edited by Anthony

mainline

Thanks guys. Mine is phase 2 so I think I've probably taken off all the stuff I need to. :)

Miles

Only need to remove the drivers side lower glove box/tray, and the above

You'll see the matrix there and takes around 15 mins to replace.

carbers205

Be glad youre not doing it in a 306, they cleverly designed the bolts securing the matrix pointing upwards so you had no choice but to take the dash out!

shalmaneser
Only need to remove the drivers side lower glove box/tray, and the above

You'll see the matrix there and takes around 15 mins to replace.

This.

It's relatively easy to slide out into the drivers side footwell.

muddatrucker

Is there a technique to removing this panel? cant find any screws and I've given up jiggling it as I worry it'll snap.

img20110205130712.jpg

Edited by muddatrucker

Miles

Only need to pull it back a couple of inch's,

shalmaneser

yeah you can just bend it towards you.

smithy
Be glad youre not doing it in a 306, they cleverly designed the bolts securing the matrix pointing upwards so you had no choice but to take the dash out!

yes they are a sh1t to do remember doing one years ago when still working at pug.