• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Peetypug

1.6 Caliper Differences

Peetypug

Been to the scrappy today, a guy there said they had some calipers in for a 1.6

Had a look and they look similar to the 1.9 ones

Is this correct?

Would I need to change anything else to replace the crap rear caliper style ones that are fitted now

I know the pads will be different, what about disks (I'm replacing them anyway)

Thanks in advance

Anthony

1.6 to 1.9 caliper swap requires the complete caliper/carriers units (obviously), different pads, and the shorter caliper mounting bolts.

Keep your existing 1.6 disks unless you replace the hubs as well, as 1.6 hubs are a different offset, thus needing different offset disks.

It has always produced a noticeable improvement whenever I've done it, as 1.6 calipers don't seem to age well. Make sure that the sliders are in good condition on the 1.9 calipers and stick some fresh grease in them, and they'll go on forever :lol:

welshpug

They may be Girling from a very early car, these have two pins to retain the pads.

If you are after some 1.9 calipers dont forget that many Clio's used the Girling calipers on the front as well as the same Bendix rears.

Use the standard disc for whichever hubs you have.

Tom Fenton

Pete I've at least 3 pair of 1900 calipers if you need some.

Peetypug

Cheers Tom. Will let you know

I know the hubs/offset are different, but didn't know the 1.9 calipers would bolt straight one with the 1.6 disks!

Could these be off a gentry? I remember they had one in a while ago but thought they just ran 1.6 brakes

Edited by sorrentopete

marksorrento205
Could these be off a gentry? I remember they had one in a while ago but thought they just ran 1.6 brakes

I do hope it was a gold one they broke Pete :lol: I also have a pair of 1.9 ones from my car if you want to try them for size before buying some?

Peetypug

green one unfortunately

i had the grille 1/4 badges and kit off it