• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rallyjonesy205

Leaking Into Rear Seat Well Above Tank.

rallyjonesy205

This has been baffling me for a year now. Still can't figure out where this leak is coming from. I have now fitted plastic side windows and sealed. But still plenty of water getting in. Would love some opinions on this.

One other thing when I open boot water pours out of one of the corner drains but can't figure where it's getting. Plastic been taken off no holes behind that.

GLPoomobile

Please don't take offense, but I really don't think we need another topic about leaky 205s. That horse has been well and truly flogged.

Do a search and you'll find a plenty of topics about this, and most will cover just about every area you need to check to find the source of the leak.

rallyjonesy205

No offense taken did do a search. Just couldnt find anything I haven't checked. I am still searching.

MerlinGTI

Silicone the clips the spoiler goes into, pop the trim off the inside of the tailgate and run a bead round the back of the lock and washer jet.

My rear screen also needed a neat bead round the inside to stop condensation. Might as well do your 1/4 glass while your at it.

The 1/4 badges also tend to let water in the mounting holes. Silicone these sluts up too.

Edited by MerlinGTI

GLPoomobile

Agree with Merlin, these are some of the commonly overlooked leaks.

You really need to start isolating where the water is coming from before you start sealing bits up. It's either going to be coming in from the back of the car (boot etc) and making it's way forward before pooling under the seats, or it's going to be coming down the sides by the rear windows, making it's way down behind the trim, and then under the seats. Work out which of those is happening (take out rear seats and boot liner, clean everything up and dry it, then wait until you can see were it's coming from. You could scatter flour or something to help identify where it's tracking in).

Once you know which direction it's coming from it'll be easier to start sorting the leak. There is actually quite a long list of possibilities, so to seal up everything would be a lot of work.

rallyjonesy205

Cheers guys. Spent this morning sealing stuff up. found another topic listing some things to check. I did notice where the wiring had been removed from boot. Previous owner had left the holes open.

Silicones the badges as said as water does look to coming in there aswell.

Just need to do lock.

Will look at spoiler as well. Didn't think of that.

GLPoomobile

So at the top of the boot, there would normally be a convoluted rubber boot at each side, which the wiring and washer tube would run through. Your saying they have been removed and the holes left open?

I'd say that's a fairly high liklihood of being the major source of your trouble.

If water gets inside the boot it runs out of the drainage channels at the bottom corners, which Pug, in a moment of pure genius, decided to design so that they drain IN TO the boot :)

smithy
So at the top of the boot, there would normally be a convoluted rubber boot at each side, which the wiring and washer tube would run through. Your saying they have been removed and the holes left open?

I'd say that's a fairly high liklihood of being the major source of your trouble.

If water gets inside the boot it runs out of the drainage channels at the bottom corners, which Pug, in a moment of pure genius, decided to design so that they drain IN TO the boot :)

quality idea putting drain holes there mine was letting water in behind the plastic trim on boot that then came out drain holes.

another source of my water ingress was the 1/4 windows,the water did not come in between glass and seal but where the seal pushes on to body and entered via the gap between interior and external 1/4 panels ran down internal panel and out under seat and carpet.

rallyjonesy205

Well mine certainly had the whole for it. Just didn't look before as it had one already in place. So thought it was just one. Only found it because I decided to really look all round the rear to find the source. Will just wait and see now if any more water gets in.

Initial checks says no but will just wait and see.