• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mattmalden

New Parts Advice Required

mattmalden

Hi,

My car started making a graunching noise whilst driving/coasting (not breaking) from the N/S front and when the steering wheel start to rock left to right (about 5 or so degrees) I decided it was time to stop and call the AA. When they arrived I took the mechanic for a drive and after a couple of miles and above 50mph we heard the noise - but could not replicate the steering problem.

Upon inspection everything seems to be bolted up tight, so I'm guessing its the outer CV joint. I've heard they're difficult to remove from the driveshaft and with my limited tools I've decided to buy a new driveshaft complete with CV joint. Also while I'm at it I'm going to replace the steering rack as it does have a bit more free play in it than it should and as I was surprised by how cheap a replacement is from Euro Car Parts.

So, I was wandering if anyone has ever fitted a 'Q Drive' driveshaft from Euro Car parts (£58 or £65 depending on side) and has anything against this part?

Also, regarding the rack - they sell 2 - one made by 'Remy' for £57 and one by 'Q Drive' for £179. It's not clear on the website but I guess the more expensive Q Drive rack is for PAS. The Remy one states it is manual (as is my car) so same question again - has anyone had any bad experience with a Remy rack?

Finally the Brake master cylinder is also not holding firm when I hold the peddle down. As the prices are good at Euro I was going to replace it but with parts available from Bendix, Metelli, Pagid and Vemo and ranging from £40-£90 I'm a bit confused.

According to the Haynes book it looks like I have Bendix Callipers, so I thought It would be simple to buy the Bendix Master Cylinder. However there are some options from Bendix summarized below:

1/. £40.20 - Ports 4 M10x1 Part Spec 40x114.9 Part No.: 132545011

2/. £55.80 - Ports 4 M10x1 Part Spec 32.4x114.9 Part No.: 132545030

3/. £59.40 - Ports 4 M10x1 Part Spec 40x114.9 Part No.: 132545010

4/. £82.80 - Ports 3 M10x1 Part Spec 36x103.7 Part No.: 132735070

I guess the part spec refers to diameter and throw, so I'll have a measure when I take the old unit out. But if I find it to be 40x114.9 then options 1 and 3 above will both suit. I'd go for the cheapest but may be misguided. So once again if anyone has any experience of these parts then it would be great to hear from you.

Any experiences or advice would be greatly received. Thanks in advance for your help!

Matt.

Edited by mattmalden

Miles

Racks, Just get a cheap one as none come close to the Peugeot Rack (Shame they don't supply them anymore), As with any recon part some will be more worn than others so luck plays a big part

M/S, Just get a Bendix one for a 1.6 or 1.9 205 GTi, Port's make no differance as they all come with blanking plugs (or should), it cross ref with a 16v golf one on GSF's list's, But make sure you ask for this one or you will get a cheap pattern part. It makes no differance to what callipers you have as 1.6 all use Girling rear's

D/S, Try and find a GKN one, all the other's are quite poor but if you do have to use a cheap one find one with a 2 yr warranty, I think Shafttec offer this and I;ve used it allot

mattmalden

Thanks for the replies.

GSF Sell the D/S from GKN and its cheaper then from Euro's so I think I'll get everything from there.

One thing though - the rack (430pc190) states '205 >90' Square Pinion.

My car is from '86/87. Was there a change to the manual steering rack after 1990?

Tom Fenton

GSF list the GKN shafts but you will find it hard or difficult to get one, they offer an alternative which are not great.

Steering rack wise, the cars up to about 89/90 had a rack with a splined pinion, the later cars have a square one. Your car should have the spline type but I would double check on your car before ordering.

mattmalden

Right I think I'm there now.

Rack is splined- so GSF it is as its a tad cheaper and also where I'll get the other bits.

D/S - I called GSF and they confirmd they can get a GKN one from another branch - and at £45 its cheap too.

M/C - The one Miles mentions is the cheapest anywhere - £22.50 so I'll got for that and hope it looks the same when I compare it.

Funny thing is GSF offer this 20.6mm or a 19mm but Euro's offer 32.4 or 40.

These seem like completely different specs, guess i'll find out when the parts come - but can anyone else explain this?

Cheers for the help!

welshpug

the m-c miles mentioned should be around the £30 mark, not the cheaper one.

it is a 20.6mm item, no idea what those other figures would mean.

mattmalden

Hi Welshpug,

Sounds to be the same one - £22.50 + the VAT is around the £30 mark. If its not suitable I'll post up what I find. The Euro specs are a bit puzzling though!?

Can't wait to get back on the road again. Cheers for all the advice!

Miles

When ordering as said, State if it's not the Bendix one they can have it back, I gave up on the cheap ones as 50% didn;t work new