• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dch1950

New Thigh Bolsters

dch1950

Hi all,

I have shipped several thigh bolsters to the PRC in order to get quotes for reproducing a quality replacment.

By quality I mean a new foam bolster part moulded using a higher density PU foam which will improve the wear characteristics of the bolster.

First figures are giving a unit price of £35 plus P+P for a driver side (outboard) thigh bolster.

I may be able to get some bulk order discounts and dependant on the initial numbers I may be able to defray the mould costs a bit more, but this is looking like the ball park.

What do you guys think? Is it going to be worth it?

Views please.

regards

Dave

stufarri

Once the supply of unused passenger seats has been exhausted on Ebay, not a bad price in my opinion.

Tesstuff

Very true Stu.

I think the ball park figure is not too bad Dave.

They would need to be harder wearing than the originals though.

Anthony
They would need to be harder wearing than the originals though.

I don't think that they would - not really. After all, most 205 bolsters lasted fine for 10 or more years, mostly being daily driven.

The majority of 205's are no longer daily driven and won't cover anything like the mileage or hours that they would have when new, and as a result I would expect even a new standard bolster to last a significant amount of time, more than likely outliving the rest of the car.

Tesstuff

Anthony , you obviously haven't seen how quickly I flatten bolsters :(

Atari Boy

By way of info for comparison, my local car upholstery place charges me £45 for supply and fitting of a thigh bolster which strikes me as good value.

dch1950

Hi all,

my initial calculations on standard foam used by PUG is 80kgs/cu mtr. I am proposing a new bolster moulded using a higher density foam than this. PRC engineers have not given me the final figure yet. It is sideways flexing of the bolster against the seat wire frame that does the most damage , combined with a tendency for the unsupported nose section to flex downwards. It may be that in-mould reinforcement might be needed - I don't know yet.

Once I have the protos here with me I will be able to judge.

This is to be the first of "205 GTi covers trim" products and it won't be the last.

regards

Dave

GLPoomobile

Price wise, I think it's spot on. £35 is jack s*it for anything car related (although the historically tight arse members of this forum will usually beg to differ :( ).

Demand wise, I think, and I hope, that they will sell enough for you to continue supply. Replacing the bolsters is now a fairly common job, and thanks to those who've documented the process it's no longer a daunting job.

Now, since I'm here, I would also just like to register my advance interest in a set of half leather covers once you go in to production. My 205 will stay off the road this year for a thorough tidying, so hopefully by this time next year you'll have them on the market. I'd rather invest in a set of new covers for my cloth Ph1.5 seats than pay over a hundred quid for a set of well worn seats.

dch1950
Price wise, I think it's spot on. £35 is jack s*it for anything car related (although the historically tight arse members of this forum will usually beg to differ :ph34r: ).

Demand wise, I think, and I hope, that they will sell enough for you to continue supply. Replacing the bolsters is now a fairly common job, and thanks to those who've documented the process it's no longer a daunting job.

Now, since I'm here, I would also just like to register my advance interest in a set of half leather covers once you go in to production. My 205 will stay off the road this year for a thorough tidying, so hopefully by this time next year you'll have them on the market. I'd rather invest in a set of new covers for my cloth Ph1.5 seats than pay over a hundred quid for a set of well worn seats.

My second product is going to be for those owners whose inserts are OK but whose cloth bolsters are knackered, or who would like to swap/upgrade to leather bolsters. I am having my patterns assessed by a professional car seat manufacturers design department to see if any mods are needed or whether I missed something.This will take a little time though. But I always have an eye for the detail and it is mainly for that reason that I've been working for over 12 months now on this business venture of mine.

(and no I hadn't failed to spot that you want full covers)

Thank you sincerely for your interest and I hope to reward your patience when I go to cover production.

My product lines are evolving all the time so ....

"Keep the faith."

regards

Dave Hickman

Gentrix

Dave,

can't help myself, but if I think of new bolsters and covers, the next thing, which springs to mind ist the seatframe itself.

Whilst you have everything dismantled, can you spot a cure for the ever rocking backrest? Can you think of any structural enhancements to the frame itself?

marksorrento205
Anthony , you obviously haven't seen how quickly I flatten bolsters :ph34r:

:lol:

james_pug

Bolsters should sell well, I'd def have one maybe even 2.

dch1950
Dave,

can't help myself, but if I think of new bolsters and covers, the next thing, which springs to mind ist the seatframe itself.

Whilst you have everything dismantled, can you spot a cure for the ever rocking backrest? Can you think of any structural enhancements to the frame itself?

I'm busy enough with the covers and foam at the moment - so I'll assume that was a rhetorical question!

regrds

Dave

Gentrix
so I'll assume that was a rhetorical question!

regrds

Dave

It was - sort of.

:)

Carbs4me

ive got the full leather seats with the red stitching... but its collasped on the seat part... the bolster moves quite alot.... can you get any parts to fix this?

Many thanks

Tom Fenton

Chances are the steel support bar has broken, a 5 min job with a welder, but the covers have to come off first.

SurGie
I don't think that they would - not really. After all, most 205 bolsters lasted fine for 10 or more years, mostly being daily driven.

The majority of 205's are no longer daily driven and won't cover anything like the mileage or hours that they would have when new, and as a result I would expect even a new standard bolster to last a significant amount of time, more than likely outliving the rest of the car.

It does also depend on the size of the person sitting in the seat, the larger the person the more they wear out. Ive had a few 205 gti's and all had around the same sort of mileage yet some seats were well worn and some were not as bad.

It seems a good price.

johnnyboy666

I'd like to say fair play to you dave for doing this project!

I can see a lot of hard work has gone it to this and wish you well for future of it

Henry Yorke
It does also depend on the size of the person sitting in the seat, the larger the person the more they wear out.

Or the shortness. Women tend to slide their backsides over bolsters and have the seat pulled really close to the wheel. Lanky people like me sort of shoehorn themselves in, not touching the bolster. I think wear occurs more when getting out as the thighs go over the bolster to get feet on the floor.

Daviewonder

I agree with Henry, being a bit short I find it pretty tricky to get in and out without dragging across the bolster.